Sunday, March 10, 2019

Stealing Moments Here and There to Paint


Friday rolled around and although it was an editing day, I found a little time to get in the studio. I added more leaves on the left side and some woody background stems. Those need some work and I need to figure out how to tackle that.

I pretty-much finished the first flower except for highlighting the rain drops. I’ll probably save those for last. I started work on the next flower down. I had taken a couple notes from the in-process photo I’d taken after the work on Wednesday.  The in-process photos show me elements that I don’t notice on the actual painting. The photo shows me where to touch up.

It’s nice to have options in viewing. I realize, too, I’m still lacking in the purple department and green. I have a lot of greens, but sometimes I just don’t have the right shade. It’s still coming along, and I’m pleased with the progress.

The Muse had me by the throat on Saturday, however, by the time I had my work done and could spend time in the studio, she was gone. I stood at the easel for about 15 minutes, made a couple of hen-scratches, but my heart and head weren’t in it.

Today was one of those days when I was talking to Carol on the phone while painting … or rather, I painted while talking. These times are interesting because my hand just moves while my mind is preoccupied with the conversation. Working like this, I don’t overthink what I’m doing. (Which is a good thing because my overthinking brain can send me into confusion.)

I added lighter color, more highlights and more leaves. I changed the shape of the top right flower (blossom 3) because it didn’t look right. It’s much better now.

The purple and blue-violet pastels I have are not the exact color of the photos, but it doesn’t matter. The painting is not about being an exact match. No one will know unless they see the photo. And it still won’t matter.

There’s lots to do, yet. I need to soften dark lines in the blossom 2, but I’m pleased with how it’s coming along. I’m enjoying this one. Maybe this means I should do more florals.


No comments:

Post a Comment