Monday, December 7, 2015

Consumed by the Fires of Creativity

This past week mornings are consumed by the fires of creativity and two poems erupted from the torrent of words rushing through me. It dawned on me that I can relate these creative outbursts to weather and natural phenomena.

Firestorm

A flash ignition quickly
burns through my mind
in an uncontrollable wildfire
of words and thoughts

I can’t write or type fast enough
my brain can’t catch it all
as the combustion of thought  
narrows in focus
to roar through me
with intense heat

The firestorm flares
fueled by its own storm-force
I grab at the flames
trying to capture
essence so profound
that my brain
can’t contain the heat

But the movement is too fast
and won’t wait
for my slow mind
to process what I’m seeing
and my slower hand
to record what I witness

For these few moments
my entire being 
is consumed 
by the gale-force words
I am scorched
by the hot gases
and the fear
that I can’t get 
it all down
on paper

Thoughts roar through me
one after another
light bulbs flash
deep understanding
astounds me
excited
fascinated
eager to get it
onto the page
I struggle
to keep it all contained

Too soon 
it’s over
the fuel and I
are spent
my brain gasps
for oxygen
a cool wind
blows through my soul
I can now rest
  ---Sasha Wolfe 2015

The poems are fresh and new and I could write one every morning. I even have the idea to do another poetry book with accompanying pictures geared to the topic of creativity. I certainly have written enough poems on the subject throughout the years to be their own book.

Creative Burst

It drops
out of the clouds
slams me into the ground
with the force
of a tornado

In moments
roaring winds
rip my soul to shreds
as the debris of words and ideas
crash against my walls

I have to capture them
I have to put it all together
I have to make them understandable

I struggle to hold together
keep my house
from falling apart
as the whirling forces 
strip me bare

Destruction and creativity
turn, spin, flip me upside down
then dissipate into the void
leaving me flattened 
on the floor

But oh the joy!
From the chaos
comes the awe
Once again
I am rewarded
with another bit
of writing
that leaves me
refreshed and renewed
      ---Sasha Wolfe, 2015

Then another exciting bit is I’ve finally decided on a path for my memoirs… yeah, like I need another project. But at least I have an idea. I’ve been wanting to put together a memoir for years, but I couldn’t figure out how I wanted to go about it. Oh, I am not explaining this well. My goal is not your normal life-story type of deal… and that’s all I’m going to say at this point.

However, there are many other things trying to grab my attention. I have articles to write, editing to do, and the community calendar to put together, and other assignments for the InterTown Record. I’m still settling in at the new house. There are the two books that are already in various stages and if I want to do any more traveling, I need to get that one book finished before I can take on another travel-writing project.

My brain is so intensely on fire for most of the day that it eventually shuts down. All I can do is crawl to the living room and become a couch potato until bedtime.











No comments:

Post a Comment