Friday, September 16, 2016

Writing Travel Memoirs


I'm back into my dilemma about writing. I go on an adventure and want to write about the whole story. I want people to get the full version. I want them to know what it's like to travel; to give those who don't get the chance the ins and outs about the adventure. I want to give readers the exciting aspects along with the parts that are disappointing or mundane.

Yesterday I spent the entire morning editing photos and writing about Day 1. I took the original quick blog writing I did, my journal notes, and the notes I wrote in the little notebook I carry with me. I wrote up a long detailed version and then I copy and pasted it into a new document and removed most of the personal commentary about the traveling. Am I being true to myself if I do a condensed version? 

I loved my book “Too Cold for Alligators” which was published in 2014, but was it too personal for readers? My goal is to give people the full experience of traveling; the disappointing and stress along with the exciting and fun parts. I want people to know what it’s really like driving the interstates, the chance to be spontaneous and stop at places that catch my eye, and not knowing where I’ll be spending the night.

But maybe people don't want full details (unless murder or gory accident is involved). They want the happy story. Which is understandable, but life isn’t all sunshine and roses. And, although I want to highlight fascinating places I visit, the journey isn’t an advertisement for those places.

How can readers get the full understanding of what it's like to travel if stories are only about the good parts? No one travels without personal issues happening or emotional aspects kicking in. Why can't those be allowed in the writing? They are part of the journey, after all.

So, do I follow my heart and tell my story or do I do what I think will sell? There are pros and cons to both sides. I know what most people will say: Follow your heart. 


My heart says to take people on the journey with me. Let them feel what I felt, see what I saw. Let them experience the excitement along with the disappointment. In the end, it was an incredible experience and I visited some amazing places.

No comments:

Post a Comment