Thursday, February 28, 2019

Finished … Again?


The last day of February at 7 a.m. and new snow lies in puffy coverings over the landscape. At the moment, it only measures 2 inches, but it looks like more. The radio called it leaf-blower snow. (IE: you can use your leaf blower on it.)

The heated birdbath with the snow on the rim
kind of reminded me of a margarita 
Snow continues to lightly fall and the layers on tree branches and evergreen limbs create a magical atmosphere in the grayness of the morn. The fluffiness also rims the heated birdbath like salt on the rim of a margarita glass (not that I’ve ever had a Margarita). The turquoise color of the bowl a bright spot of color in the lack of color scene.

I pick up the camera and take a few pictures of some of what I see from my seat. It’s only 12 degrees out there. I wear an extra sweater and have a blanket over my lap. I’ll wait a few hours before going out to shovel. Now it’s time to buckle down to my morning writings. 

I went in the studio around 9:30 a.m. intending to work on the rose of Sharon pastel painting. Instead, I stood in front of “Between the Dunes” and picked up a paper towel and began wiping the horizon line. All the while my mind was spinning as to whether I could pull this off.

"Between the Dunes" original
I had a lot of self-doubts, plus, hadn’t I spent enough time on this? But my hand kept moving. I picked up pastels, tried different colors, different types of pastels. Is the horizon and sky now OK?






"Between the Dunes" final finish?
I moved down onto the land adding more textures to the grasses. (The color in the photo isn’t the same as the original painting. There’s actually more yellow in the grasses on the left.) I worked more on the fence line and ground. Finally, finally, I think I’m done.

Is it worthy to be framed? Not sure, yet.                

No comments:

Post a Comment