Thursday, November 29, 2012

Fake It Til You Make It



Fake It Til You Make It

Although I have been doing art work for most of my life, I have only been publicly selling for a few years. It’s tough when there’s been a lifetime of self-esteem issues and shyness to overcome. I never have been one to put on an act, so learning to do shows and deal with customers has not been easy.

I was thinking the other day about what an artist says when asked how things are going. If you’re at a show and the day is dragging on and you haven’t sold anything, how do you respond to that question?

It’s very important to stay upbeat and positive. It’s hard when things aren’t going so well sales-wise. I usually make an effort to enjoy the work of the other artists and chat with them if things aren’t busy. I get much inspiration from others and it’s important to support one another. I also love hearing how they do what they do. I check out other artists’ set ups to get ideas. Not to copy them, but to further develop my own site.

When the aforementioned question comes up, do you put on a happy face and say, “Great! It’s going great.” Do you tell little white lies to keep up a front?

You DO need to maintain positiveness. “Fake It Til You Make It” becomes an internal motto. Put on the public act. Keep smiling. After all, a potential customer does not want to deal with a Gloomy Gus. Plus, positive energy promotes positive results.

Still, I wonder where lines are drawn. If asked how sales are going, does one put on the act that sales are great even when they’re not? This economy is tough and difficult for small town New Englanders to do big venues due to the added expense of the show being more expensive to get into and having to overnight in a hotel or campground. On the one hand, “fake it til you make” gets one by and it works.   On the other hand, there’s an issue of not being honest.

I’m not even sure what that means. Are we being dishonest by putting on a positive act? It wouldn’t help ourselves or our sales if we said that sales were not good. In thinking about this more, it doesn’t even have to be about the sales. When asked how the day is going, anything positive about the day could be mentioned. “There’s a great group of artists here.” “We couldn’t ask for better weather.” “The customers are awesome.”

So, in asking about my question and writing about it, I’ve discovered my own answers. Every day is a learning experience. Every show is an opportunity to do better. Even for artists who enjoy spending time alone, it’s good for us to get out in the public. I am certainly looking forward to this next summer and the outdoor show season.









No comments:

Post a Comment