Sunday, November 25, 2012

Seeing Things

As time goes on, I notice that I look at things differently depending on what project might be in my mind. I am a photographer and enjoy making cards and prints. I also use photographs as a guideline for my drawings and paintings. When I am out and about, I've discovered that I look at things differently whether I am taking a picture to use as a photo or if it will be used in another way.  

A photograph needs to stand out. It needs to catch the eye of the viewers, draw them in. My goal with a photo is to share that moment of excitement that caught my attention. The color needs to be lifelike, there needs to be good light and the composition needs to be just so with the proper focus and cropping. I want others to see and experience the moment, the beauty, the awe. The subjects vary from beautiful scenery to birds and critters, flowers, rusty items, things found on the ground, or old buildings.

When I take a photo with the intent of using it for a drawing, it’s almost like I am looking at the scene with new eyes. I am thinking how the scene will look in grayscale. Is there enough contrast? How’s the light? Sometimes a scene does not make for a great photo, but I can see possibility for a drawing or painting. What can I do with the photo to make a remarkable piece of art? The photo doesn’t have to be perfect because I can make adjustments in the art work. I allow the drawings to take on a life of their own.

The art of seeing also takes on a different perspective after I download the photos onto the computer. Sometimes what I think is a great shot, doesn’t appear to be so on the computer. I might notice things not seen when I took the original shot. (I often like those surprises.) There’s also the point where I don’t always trust my eyesight. (Getting old, you know.) This can be true whether looking through the lens or at the computer screen.

Printing the photo also changes how I see. If I am doing prints or cards, I use good photo paper. If I am doing drawings or paintings, I will print on regular paper because sometimes the picture isn’t good enough to waste good photo stock. (Okay, maybe I can admit to being a little cheap here.) This can present an interesting challenge in creating original works of art. My intent is to use the photo as a guideline. I am not trying to re-create the photo. 

When planning a painting, the challenge is that regular paper does not hold all the colors well and often the contrast is less. I don’t want to spend my time doing extra editing with these photos. My goal is the painting. Doing the color studies for this gives me another aspect with which to work and I find this challenge intriguing. 

In closing, it is important to note that this is an all-over view of my “living the life of an artist.”  I am not only doing art, but I’m studying the aspects of the self, what the self experiences and feels in creating, what influences are involved, and so forth. It’s that old adage of it being about the journey. Yes, selling the work is important, but this journey is oh, so fascinating.




No comments:

Post a Comment