Saturday, February 1, 2014

Back to the Book


A year ago today I visited Drayton Hall in South Carolina. There are three old plantations within six miles of one another. Drayton Hall is known for its preservation of 17th century architecture. There’s no plumbing or electricity. The only repairs made are only those absolutely necessary to keep the plantation house in good condition. The architecture and woodwork is amazing with some of the original paint and textures on walls, ceilings, and moldings.

In my morning journaling, it was going through my head how publishers push writers to tell the story through words and not rely on pictures. Sometimes, though, I have difficulty describing what I see, especially when driving on highways. Sometimes I don’t know the technical terms of what I am seeing when I am passing areas that are unfamiliar. Sometimes in my hurry to SEE things I let the excitement overwhelm logical thought. Powerful emotions wash through me covering all else. I’m a little kid jumping up and down in uncontrollable excitement. My mind really does babble incoherently! Later, when I slow down and try to recall description, I struggle with the words. How can I describe these “things” when I can’t find the right words?


I want the book to be about both – story and photos! Why does that have to be wrong? I don’t want to trust my words to tell you what I actually saw. I want you to see, too. I want you to go on the journey with me, to experience what I experienced, and love the discoveries.

And so, I sit down at the computer ready to go back to day one (again) and attempt to put in more written description. But alas, my day is being taken over by other things needing to be done. I’ve lost the moment of inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment