Monday, August 31, 2015

Move to Hillsborough

The moving saga continued as the movers showed up on Wednesday. They arrived in Bradford at 10:45 a.m. and by the time they finished unloading in Hillsborough, it was 7:30 p.m. That cost me a pretty penny and they couldn’t even fit it all in the truck. I also had my car loaded.

The rooms in this small house are packed. Yikes! I will be picking away at it for days. At that time of night, I just threw the new sheets onto the new bed. Big mistake not washing them first… but then, I never wash things first.

Needless to say, the smell of the pillow cases made me horribly sick and I couldn’t find where the Advil was packed. I pulled the pillow cases off the pillows around 3 a.m. By then, the damage was done. I wasn’t sick to my stomach. I just felt headachy and miserable. And going from a king-size bed to a queen-sized, I was afraid I’d fall out of bed every time I rolled over.

The sick feeling carried into the morning. It’s hard to accomplish anything when you’re not feeling well. TDS was to come between 8 a.m. and noon. For some reason, I expected them early. I’d pick at putting some things away then sit down for a bit. This was not a good time to not feel well. There was too much to do. And I couldn’t wash the sheets because I hadn’t brought the laundry detergent. (It probably didn’t help that I hadn’t eaten since Tuesday night.)

TDS showed up at 11:55 a.m. “We said between 8 a.m. and noon,” he said. The work to hook up the fiber optics and make sure TV, phone, and internet were working took all afternoon. He wasn’t finished until 3:45 p.m. That took my whole day. There were still a lot of things in Bradford to get.

I made phone calls and my brother Don and his wife, Carol, along with my friend Annette Vogel agreed to help on Friday.  I arrived first and started loading more items in the car. Annette arrived and began loading her car, too. Don and Carol packedd their truck and trailer. Nan McCarthy showed up and we packed up her car, too, and there were still things left behind. How am I going to be able to get it all?

The unload took awhile and rooms were packed tighter and many items were left outside. People are going to think I’m a hoarder… maybe I am. Everyone left and I settled my aching body down to check out the new TV reception. Fiber optics does have better picture and sound. 

The next day I was freaking about who I could get to help. Everyone was busy. I broke down and called Adam, my younger son, to beg for help. He lives over an hour away and I hated to bother him. I didn’t have to beg, he agreed to come up. Nan McCarthy and her sister, Clare arrived at the new home and were going to start sorting and organizing all the boxes. They also put things for free out at the curb.

Adam and I managed to fit the remainder of the things in his truck, trailer, and my car. By Saturday afternoon, I was done in Bradford and left the keys behind. It felt really strange leaving. That house I loved was no longer home. It was bittersweet.

The McCarthy sisters were gone when we got to the Hillsborough house. I showed Adam around then we began the slow process of unloading. It doesn’t help that I can’t do much and I’m very slow. We got his truck emptied and we decided that my car could wait. It was getting late and I wanted the vertical blinds put up in the kitchen and mini blinds in my bedroom. By the time that was done, it was 8:30 p.m. I said I’d handle everything else. Adam left and I collapsed on the couch… another day without eating.

I am officially a resident of Hillsborough now. I’ll say more later about the moving process. There are also many people I want to thank for putting up with my crying and whining. I am so grateful to family and friends who helped, not only with the physical, but those who kept encouraging and supporting me when I was so down.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment