Friday, October 9, 2015

Missing a View


I’ve been mentioning how the inside of this house is so dark and that I need lights on all day. That’s a huge annoyance which has made me decide to put in skylights.

However, in the settling in and the organizing, I didn’t put much focus on the outside view – except to note that I have the wooded-area brook in the back and neighbors across the street and diagonal. Directly across is an empty lot with storage pod. The owners are keeping it nicely mowed and clean. Unless I go outside, I do not have a view to either side of the house. There’s a window in the door facing north, but no windows facing south (just as well as an admitted hoarder lives on that side). 

The trees are tall with evergreens of pine and hemlock and deciduous of oak, maple, and, oh dear, I can’t remember these others. The green of the deciduous have faded a little, but the leaves are still very much green with a little yellowing. I only have spotty glances of the sky looking out the back and a little open sky over the front lawn, road, and the vacant lot across the street. Basically, three sides of the house are surrounded by trees which keeps the inside of the house dark.

So, it wasn’t until I was away from the area and out of this “hollow,” that I realized just how much autumn has descended. The drive to Concord was beautiful with the yellows, reds, and orange showing up vibrantly against the cloudless, bright blue sky. It was hard to keep my eyes on the road and I wanted to stop a couple times to take photographs. (Unfortunately, it always seems the places I want to stop are not safe spots to pull over along the highway.) 

It dawned on me as I drove how much I miss the view from the Bradford home. That home allowed such a gorgeous view down across the field and up the mountainside. I bet the maple and oak trees along Pleasant View Road are vibrant with color and the field grasses a beautiful shade of deep yellow-gold. But I cannot allow myself to think of that.

(People have asked if I’ve ridden by the old house. No. Right now it would make me cry. Thinking about it causes my eyes to fill. No, I can’t go back now; not for quite awhile. I so loved the views from that house!)

Concord errands done, I returned to my dark house. I put up the bird feeders – at least I have my little birdies to enjoy; six cardinals, titmice, chickadees, nuthatches, hairy and downy woodpeckers and three red bellied woodpeckers. (The latter are special.) The brook is loud with its waters babbling over rocks on the way to Gould Pond. 


Inside I settle in waiting until the day when I can get the walls painted and bring happy colors inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment