Friday, October 2, 2015

Waiting for Trades’ Jobs to Get Done

This is Day 37 at Ellen Brook in Hillsborough. Thirty-seven days and there is still not one room that is complete, not totally settled. I just want one room done, just one...  to start. This chaos is weighing on me. One full month plus doesn’t sound like a lot, but I feel I have been in on-hold mode forever. I have been here long enough that some things should be finished.

Progress has been made; little bits here and there. One of the problems is the busyness of the tradesmen. My jobs are small (to them) and they fit me in when they can. While I understand that, it’s also frustrating. I’ll even settle for the tiny bathroom. I did get the new walk-in shower installed, which is wonderful, but because the vanity faucets are still on backorder, the bathroom job could not be finished. I cannot get the new over-the-toilet storage unit until the vanity is installed because I have to make sure it will all fit. The wall painting has to be done, too, and I’m holding off installing the toilet paper holder and towel racks for that (which means wet towels and such are draped on other things). New trim is also needed around the new shower.

Bathroom items are spread throughout the bedroom which makes that space awkward to move around. Again, until walls are painted, I’m holding off adding some special Sasha touches with décor and pictures. 

Unused and unwanted items are slowly being weeded out… a very slow process, mostly my fault in trying to hold onto My Stuff. I’m getting better at it. Sometimes I need to go through the stuff more than once to decide to let it go. I am totally amazed, shocked, appalled at all I own. 

The king size bed finally sold allowing room in the shed – which I immediately filled. However, that needs to be better organized and there are items still on the deck, and more, that need to be under cover before winter. The garage and mud room won’t be built until next spring so the work in the shed needs to be done soon.

Yesterday I made a foray to Concord. A new printer and keyboard were needed along with a second set of bed sheets. Hiking around the two box stores always sets my back, knees, hips, and feet to aching and there was still one more store to go. Lowes took care of those needs and by then I was exhausted. Headway was made and I was able to scratch a lot off my lists. It did feel good to be out and about.

Today is another day at home; another day of looking at the ugly walls, ugly floors, and the messy rooms. I’m trying to remain upbeat, but as the days drag on between real progress, I can’t help but feel a little down. However, in the concentrating on the day’s editing and community calendar work, time will go by fast.

The waiting is hard, though. I can’t do this until that is done. It seems that everything there is to do requires something else to be completed first. It also means that some things are moved a dozen times before the permanent home is found and a main goal to this house is that everything will have its place and be organized. At the moment, too little has found its home.

That said, there really has been progress. I am getting there. I just want this all to be done so I can get back to writing and art.


No comments:

Post a Comment