Friday, January 1, 2016

Looking Ahead for This New Year

I put off thinking about 2016 (except where I had to make notes of dates) until 2015 was over. This morning, the moment I sat down to write, wishes for the New Year began to pour forth. I don’t look at these as resolutions as I always felt New Year’s Resolutions was setting me up for failure. Not getting things crossed off my list are not failures because it only means something else came along that I accomplished instead. 

I’m big into spontaneity and going with the moment. So I build a list of possibilities, things that would be nice if they happened, but won’t be emotionally devastating if they don’t get done. Plus, it’s only January. What I may want right now might not be something I prefer as the year progresses. Other opportunities present themselves. I do not want to limit myself to set plans. I want to allow for changes; for the ebb and flow of time.

For instance, last year’s list had 15 items on it. I only accomplished five, but those five were huge and took most of the year and all of my energy. I’m still dealing with the fallout as moving a household is a huge endeavor and one which will continue into this year as I Sasha-fy this new house.

There are things that are definitely on any list of good will for the New Year; those same platitudes that everyone prays for: peace, love, happiness, wishing for the best for everyone. I could make a long list of these types of wishes I want for the world, and it is important to want and ask for them.

Then I narrow my focus to the here and now and the more personal future plans. Should the lists be kept secret? Would I jinx my wishes by speaking of them aloud?

One I mentioned above about this new home and another continuation is the writing of the books (two of which are in progress and I’ve an idea for a third). Some of the items not finished from last year will transfer to this year’s list while others might not matter at all anymore. There are new goals to accomplish this year as my work with the InterTown Record expands.

I also need to look at my art career. I’m feeling a major shift and I’m not quite sure where that is headed. Even favorite subjects to photograph are no longer important which leaves me questioning my photography. And what about the charcoal drawings????

Of course, there are the tedious plans (those that are on the lists every year): better organizing and record keeping; striving to be a better person, better artist, better writer;  improving art sales; exercise; and working smarter, yadda yadda.

What new can I put on this year’s list to make it more interesting and exciting? Oh, so many possibilities…

So, what is on your list of 2016 possibilities?


No comments:

Post a Comment