Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Photo Project

I’ve been amusing myself these past few days playing around with four different-colored see-through wine glasses. I make arrangements and take photographs. And, because I am also doing a 100 Photos 100 Days challenge, I’m only working with a few arrangements per day. I am intrigued by the play of light and shadow reflected in the glass and how various items around the room affect the outcome. 

The first day, the glasses were empty. The next two days, I added water. When I left the water in the glasses overnight, three of the glasses ended up with a lot of tiny bubbles in the water. The green glass only had a few. I experimented again, and the same thing. The purple, blue, and yellow glasses had a lot of bubbles, but the green glass did not. Why is that?

I laid the empty blue glass on its side one day and took photos of the various angles with the other three glasses upright with water in them. I added ice cubes. Another day I left the green glass empty and put it on its side and then the next day, it was the yellow glass. (I didn’t like the yellow so well on its side.)

I used wine in three of the glasses. While I love the color, it didn’t seem as interesting as the water. Oh, the little things that amuse me.

Today I finally decided to print a couple of the photos. I haven’t used the HP Envy 7640 Photo printer since I bought it last September. I did a sample run on plain paper. It printed with faint horizontal lines which I figured might be due to the plain paper and the printer not being used for a long time.

I put a piece of HP glossy photo paper in the tray on top of the plain paper already there. The printer picked up the both papers and printed on the plain sheet. I pulled out the plain sheets, put the glossy photo paper went back in the tray, and went out to the computer to hit print. (The HP printer is in the studio because I don’t use it much.) 

Drat! Not only were there horizontal lines, but faded color. I had to change the color ink cartridge. Jeez, I haven’t even used that printer and I need to change a color cartridge? 

After the print alignment, I figured I was good-to-go and put in a sheet of the expensive polar pearl metallic paper. Noooo, the vertical lines are still there! Of course I don’t have a manual – they expect you to look everything up online. I couldn’t find troubleshooting and gave up. 

Today I’ll do another round of arrangements. I’ll leave the purple glass empty today. Maybe I’ll try something different with creating a background.


I still have painting touch-ups to do in the kitchen and utility room. Maybe when I get the paint out, I’ll paint an extra board or something to use for a backdrop for still life pictures. Hmmm… 

No comments:

Post a Comment