Tuesday, January 29, 2019


Interruptions and Distractions
  
This morning I woke with the thought that if I’m going to trace the flower shapes on the BF Rives paper, I should do it with the paper flat and not on the easel. This will be my second floral pastel painting and I’m not comfortable getting flowers in proper perspective freehand. (I do all my other work freehand.) 

There was a pinkish tinge to the landscape outside around sunrise time, but the overcast moved in before I saw any sun. Snowflakes began softly floating down. Weather Underground predicted snow to start around 3 p.m. with 5-8 inches total. The flurries continued off and on and soon the deck was dotted with white specks. At least it wasn’t mounting up, yet.

I got my regular morning routine completed and went to get the items needed for this project … 

But I got distracted and began rearranging the big shelf unit in the back room with all the art and photography supplies such as backing boards, bigger mats, foam core and foam storage/carry pouches, etc. Then I went in the studio to get something and got distracted by the painting.

"Mountain Sunset" 9 1/4 x 15 inches 
I worked for an hour on the pastel … kept walking away because I’d been on my feet for a long time. Every time I got to the door and turned around, I’d see something I wanted to fix and go back to the easel.

Then I decided to put some Velcro on the bottom of the foam mats I stand on. They keep sliding when I move and bunch up. I’ve tripped a number of times (luckily haven’t fallen). I’m hoping the Velcro will keep the mats in place. Pele tried to help. It doesn’t make it easy to lift the corner of the mat with a heavy kitty on it.

I was interrupted on this project by someone ringing the doorbell. Delivery received, I returned to the studio and instead of finishing the Velcro project, I worked on the painting again. Nooo! Walk away! I’ve done enough for the day and have been on my feet too long.

I’m pleased to get more work done. I’d love to have this ready to take to the framer on Friday. I still have a lot to do, though.

I took a progress photo. The actual painting looks a lot better than this photo … and looks better from at least 5 feet away, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment