Sunday, January 13, 2019

Unforeseen Challenges


A couple of sunset photo postings on Facebook a week or so ago had me asking for permission to use the photos for paintings, with credit to the photographers, of course. This is a deviation for me as I am usually adamant about using my own photos, but every once in a while, someone else’s will intrigue me ... and I never get sunrise or sunset pictures any more.

In the "hate-it" stage.
I currently have four in-process paintings on the easels, each a different type of scene. When I get to the “hate-it” stage of one, I’ll work on another until I can go back. This current one is the third for 2019 and I’ve titled it “Mountain Sunset.”

Although I’ve done lots of skies, this is my first sunset. I thought it’d be easy and fun. I love doing skies! However, this has been giving me grief from the get-go. I think it’s because I’m used to blending blues and whites of sky and this is darks and orange shades … blending makes it muddy-looking.

More progress
Yesterday, I absolutely hated the progress, but I went back in the studio today for another go at it. I tied a bandana over my nose and mouth because I’m creating so much pastel dust. The layering just isn’t going smoothly. I’m wiping off as much as I put on.

But I’ll get there. It’s all about the journey which entails learning to do it my way! I’ll figure this one out. 
And it looks good when I stand back.

It’s an intriguing scene and when done, it will be beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment