Friday, December 28, 2012

Planning Places to Visit



 
This morning I finished my journaling early and decided to work on my upcoming trip. Current plans are to take 91S to 84W through Conn. and N.Y. on into Penn. where I’ll pick up 81S. This route will take me away from NYC and other major cities (of which I fear.) Weather will be a factor and I have no idea how far I will get the first day. I’ll want to get out of New England and winter weather asap.

Carolyn had mentioned that I could look up Travel and Tourism for each state. I decided to start with Pennsylvania because I figure on driving straight through New York. So far, I am only seeing Gettysburg as a possible which will be a detour off of 81S. Should Gettysburg be considered in the winter? Will they have snow?

In Virginia, I want to do the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway, but weather conditions may close roads. Then there’s Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown, Chincoteague, and many other coastal sites. I probably could spend two or three days, at least, in this state and it may warrant going home a different route.

Rte. 77S is picked up in Va. and heads down into North Carolina. Raleigh has a Titanic exhibition going on. That would be cool. I could take a Historic Railroad Tour in Hamlet. This will definitely be on my list of things to do. There are lots of things on the coast. I’d love to visit Cape Hattaras. Imagine doing Lighthouse Tours along Va. and N.C.

And then there’s South Carolina. So far, my list includes Boone Plantation, Mt. Pleasant; Magnolia Gardens near Charleston; and Cypress Gardens northwest of Charleston. These are also on the coast.

It looks like I might have to divide my trip between west and east of southern coast states. I’m going to have to make more plans for sure.

Oh, my, at this rate, maybe I won’t make it to Florida…

No comments:

Post a Comment