Monday, January 7, 2013

Decision to Write a Book about my Trip



 
This morning, the light bulb in my head went off. I’d been planning to blog and write newspaper articles about my journey, but now I have also decided to write a book. After all, there will be far too much information to be able to fit in a blog or newspaper.  

“Thirty Days on the Road” will be the title, at least for the moment. I say, “at the moment,” because I don’t know if I’ll be gone thirty days. I shall leave and when I feel the need to come home, I’ll head back to N.H. The book will be a combination of photographs, drawings I do along the way, poetry inspired from what I see, a bit of history of the areas visited, and a personal account of my experience.

I am working on the first section of the book; how the idea came about and what has gone into the planning of such a journey. The basic plan is a drive from N.H. to Fla. The beginning and end points, but what I find the most impelling is the journey in between. I’ll be highlighting places to stay, sites to visit, restaurant critiques, combined with a personal view to situations.

In a way, the actual traveling is the easy part. Overall planning is exciting, too, but then it comes down to the nitty-gritty. What do I pack? How do I pack it? How do I easily move it?

The longest vacation I’d ever been on was 10 days. This time, I will have to consider finding places to do laundry. Going from cold north winter to a warm southern winter makes it necessary to plan for a variety of clothing. Driving means I can actually bring more; camera equipment, drawing supplies, extra clothes, etc.

The most difficult part of going away is leaving my cat, Freyja. Luckily, I have an awesome neighbor willing to come every day to check on her and tend to her needs. They live close enough so they can keep an eye on the house. If it wasn’t for good neighbors, I would not be able to do this.

Right now, as you can tell, my thoughts are all over the place. My mind jumps from one subject to the next and it’s hard to concentrate and I know I keep repeating things. My writing will improve, I promise.

I’m excited and scared about taking this trip, but I need this – badly; for my own sanity and well-being. I need to get away so I can come back refreshed and inspired.


No comments:

Post a Comment