Monday, March 25, 2013

Back to the Book




After having other issues hinder me from my book writing, I am back at the job. One problem is that I spend so much time re-reading and editing further what has already been done, that I have a hard time getting anything new accomplished.

After again re-working chapters 16 and 17 which are Days 1 and 2 of the actual trip, I am trying to get Day 3 finished. I’m a little disappointed in myself. Although I tried to record much, I know that the more time goes by, the more that I am not going to be able to also pull from memory. Already the trip seems like it happened years ago.

I’m trying to work with photos and my mind is reeling with options. Working for the newspaper has taught me to pay more attention to space; the more space used, the more expensive. At the moment, I’m stuck between doing two photos per page or if I should do smaller pictures. The size of the book will be 7 x 10, so to do more pictures per page might make them too difficult to see.

I’m also concerned about the size of the book. I want to include so much. Story, a little history, lots of photos… I can’t help but wonder if this endeavor will end up being too expensive. I’ve also been putting a black frame around the photos to make them show up more. I know that also takes up more space.

I’m working on the Skyline Drive story and photos. Oh, I want to use a lot of photos. I just wish I wouldn’t get so stuck in my mind on whether to do this or that. There’s a part of me that doesn’t want to do what is the norm, what everyone else does. Most of the time, it’s either a picture book or a story. I want to do it all together. I want people to see the pictures as they’re reading the text.

Will it sell?

Well, back to the grind. I am thinking that if I get the text done and pictures placed, I can worry about actual size and alignment later. It’s hard when I don’t have someone right here, in the moment, to give advice and suggestions. Such as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment