Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A Side Trip


Today I am studying maps. Yes, I know, I say I make spontaneous trips and yet, I will peruse the atlas for hours to check routes. I just don’t make definite decisions in the planning. 

Today, I found the Great Dismal Swamp brochure from the information picked up on the 2013 trip. It looks intriguing, so I looked up websites and maps. Oh, this is a place I want to visit! There are many trails, boardwalks, and canals. A birders paradise, too! It’s on the borders of Virginia and North Carolina and further east than I traveled on the previous trip. Yet it’s off Rte. 17, north of where I picked up that highway before. I could take Interstate 64 off of I-295 in Richmond and taking this route would bring me by Williamsburg. Williamsburg is a place I’ve always wanted to visit, too. 

Coming out to the Atlantic Ocean will put me near Chincoteague Island; a place that intrigued me ever since reading “Misty of Chincoteague” as a child. However, I’m not sure that’s an area to visit in the winter. Turning south, the way will take me through Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Chesapeake where I will pick up Route 17S. Rte. 17 follows one of the Dismal Swamp ditches. According to the reading, the Great Dismal Swamp will be at least a two-day visit. Hmm, do I want to spend two days? But, the history and the wildlife and the trails… can I resist? 

Everything will, of course, depend on the weather. I won’t know until I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment