Monday, October 3, 2016

Awesome Vacation Idea

New Hampshire, with their Rails-to-Trails systems has some incredible hiking and biking paths (among many other trail systems), but this state is not alone. When I visited Lake Okeechobee in Florida, I found the top of the dike around the lake was also a maintained trail which was part of a bigger trail system throughout that state. Then on this more recent trip to Wichita, I came across many hiking and biking trails, some that went for hundreds of miles.

Each time the thought crossed my mind what a wonderful family vacation this could be. I pictured families or couples out on these fairly level, easy trails. Not only would this type of vacation give them the opportunities to learn about the areas being visited, but it could make for really special times along with plenty of fresh air and exercise and getting away from electronics.

And each time I would think that if I was younger and in shape, this would be the kind of vacation I’d like to go on. Nights could be at hotels or campgrounds and daytrips could be spent out on the trails. There are many sites to visit and this type of vacation gives learning about the areas a totally different experience by getting the local flavor and seeing some amazing sights. I would definitely have taken my kids on these kinds of vacations had I been aware of them at the time.

Most every state nowadays probably has some sort of maintained trail systems. Presque Isle in Erie, Pa., has a wonderful set of paths around the island and Missouri/Illinois along the Mississippi River has a huge set of trails and some of this is on tops of the dikes. Imagine bicycling or hiking along the Mississippi? Imagine being able to ride a bike or walk across the Mississippi at a place where there is no vehicular traffic (Old Chain of Rocks Bridge). It seems like a big deal to me, especially when I couldn’t see the river while driving on the roads because of the height of the dikes. The trails are right on top! What views!

This is just a hint of what could be. The thing, too, it’s not just about hiking and biking. Often the trails connect with historical sites which offer amazing exhibits and experiences. Trail riding also is less expensive than other types of vacation. Most parking areas are free although some charge a nominal fee. Picnic lunches can be planned and packed. There may even be places to rent bikes if you can’t bring your own. Presque Isle, for instance, had a bike rental place.

I have been so amazed at what I’ve seen in the other states by driving through them. It would be fascinating to take a more leisurely trip and take the time to enjoy. I would envision a kind of lottery with my family. Put the names of states in a hat, draw a name and that would be the state to visit for a hiking/biking adventure for that year. Or, depending on how close the state, maybe there’d be time to do a few places.

So the next time you are planning a vacation, think about a more interactive family time away from home. Too often vacations are hurry there, see as much as you can see in the allotted time, and hurry home. A biking/hiking vacation is also a great way to really see America. 





No comments:

Post a Comment