Wednesday, January 9, 2013

More Possible Plans



At breakfast this morning, Jane and Bob regaled us with highlights from their recent drive to Florida. I was eager to pick up tips towards my own upcoming travels. For one, they suggest taking Rte. 9 all the way across Vermont instead of Rte. 91S to 84. With that way, there is less traffic and it avoids the hassles of Hartford, Conn. Rte. 9 changes to Rte. 7 in New York on into Troy. From there it’s easy to pick up the New York Throughway (Rte. 87S) where Rte. 84 is intersected in Poughkeepsie. Nan agreed that is a much better route and one she takes when she goes back to N.Y. The only caution is to go when the weather is good as it is over the mountains.

I mentioned the Blue Ridge Parkway and the possible closure if the weather is inclement. Jane said that when she did that section, they could only go so far then had to get off for a bit and get back on further along the way. She suggested making sure it’s open all the way. I’m beginning to think that my plans to visit Biltmore, the Vanderbilt mansion in Asheville, N.C. might not be reasonable to do this trip. What I can do is check weather conditions when I reach VA.

Bob said they take Rte. 66E from 81 and then Rte. 17S before reaching Washington. There was snow in the area; not like here, but there was some along the sides of the road.  I can detour off 17 onto Rte. 33 to 64 to go to Williamsburg and from Williamsburg, I can head further east to pick up 17S again. If the weather is cool, I might not want to do Chincoteague and Assateague Islands. I won’t know until I get in the area.

Rte. 17 continues south into N.C. and S.C. along the coast. It will bring me past Myrtle Beach and from what I’m seeing on the map, it looks very busy and all kid oriented. The next place I want is just south of that area. Bob told me that there’s a Brookgreen Gardens which is a must see. This is a 9,100 acre property with a garden designed in the shape of a butterfly.

From there, I’ll go on down towards Charleston where I’d like to spend a few days as there’s so much to see and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment