Tuesday, August 11, 2015

So Much to Think About


Every time I turn around there’s another decision to make. I haven’t even made definite choices on the last things running through my mind. I’m not sleeping well and my brain and body feel so tired. Have I mentioned before that house-buying and moving are awful?

I look around and even though I feel I have accomplished  a lot, there is still much more to do. I can’t take it all and I don’t want to take it all, but what do and can I take? How do I know what I’ll want once I move to the new home? I’m heartsick over it and can’t get rid of stuff fast enough. Most will probably end up in the dumpster.

The big question to what I want answered is how to best utilize space. My goal is to be more organized and have separate storage for each category of my art: writing, photography, drawing, jewelry-making, etc. One entire spare bedroom will be taken up just as a huge walk-in storage closet with designated shelves and spaces.

I have three printers (for the photography) on three small tables on wheels. There’s a sideboard in the kitchen. I can’t keep all. Should I keep the smaller tables or should I use the sideboard and put the printers on that? I wish I could see what it would look like ahead of time. (sigh).

I can’t even decide on which day to officially move in. Official possession of the property will take place on Aug. 21 and I have until Aug. 31 to be out. I, at least, need to get the new flooring and carpeting down before bringing in furniture and replacing the bathtub/shower with a walk-in shower is a top priority. (The last time I stepped over a tub wall, I wrecked my back and it hurt for days). 

All concentration is on renovations and every once in awhile I wonder about other items to make my new home more new and personal. Yes, I do plan to buy a smaller bed which means new bedding, but what about other linens? Every time I do laundry, I spend time cutting threads off towels and wash cloths. Could it be time to get new ones? It’s not like I need to buy a lot. 

The set of pans I use are almost 20 years old and some of the handles are getting loose. (That was the green set when I moved to Hampton.) Could I allow myself to get a red set which would go with the color scheme in the new kitchen? I saw a set at Kitchen Collections in Tilton last month. I love red accents in the kitchen. I’d like a red microwave, too. (Already have a red coffee maker). 

So many decisions. It’s hard to hold off for another two weeks. The home and septic inspections need to be done. I feel the house is mine, but it isn’t official yet, so I have to wait. I really can’t do anything until I’m handed the keys.

I have made a few decisions in spite of all my whining. (Yes, I’ll admit I’m a whiner.) The master bathroom is tiny and it doesn’t have a window (horribly small for a master bath and notice I’m not calling it an en suite as sweet it is not). I plan to paint it a pale lavender to give it a pop of color while also keeping it light. Replacing the full-size tub with a smaller walk-in shower will allow room for a small linen closet (of which there isn’t one at the moment — shows you how small that bathroom is). 

The flooring that I fell in love with at Home Depot will look beautiful with the main wall color of the rest of the house. I’ll probably keep some of the curtains from this house, but there are no blinds on any of the windows which will be another expense.

Excitement runs side by side with fear: fear of the dwindling bank account, that something will be found wrong during the inspection… oh, the myriad of worries. Jeez, I’m turning into my mother, ha ha.


It’ll all work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment