Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Growing My Photography - Part 1: Out in the Field Photography

I continue to think about how I can make myself a better person, better writer, better photographer, and better artist. I have come a long way, but there is always room to grow and improve, and because I have so many interests, it’s a little more difficult and time consuming to ever feel I’ve made accomplishments.

Of course, it’s in the small things. I make a list every day of things I have accomplished even if it’s just cleaning a bathroom. Yes, I also make To Do lists, but I would feel guilty when I wouldn’t get much crossed off the list; I get distracted and do other things. However, by keeping the running tally of what I’ve done throughout the day, I am always surprised at how much I do get accomplished.

This past week while working on website updates, (check it out at www.sashawolfe.net) I am taking a closer look at my photographs and how I go about doing my photography. I call it “my” photography because of how I tackle photography projects. I have always been a learn-as-you-go type of person.

Since going digital, I get a little carried away with the amount of photos I take. I just get so excited when I am “out in the field.” My technique is more the “snatch and grab” type of shooting. What do I mean by that? I mean I let my little kid-like excitement take precedence over taking the time to get really good shots. I want to take pictures of everything and every angle that I can. (I can no longer lie on the ground to get angles from that view, though.) I hurry so I can move on to the next scene.

What this means is that I then have to later sort through too many images to find the ones that are really good. At that point, I delete the ones that are definitely not good. But I don’t delete enough. I save some thinking that I can do something with them later. Sometimes I do, but they seldom come out great. I have hundreds of photos saved on the computer, photos that I always say I’ll go back later to edit. Ha, who am I trying to kid?

So, what is my next step to improve my photography skills? The main thing is to be more mindful when I am out taking photos. I have to stop shooting everything that catches and actually TAKE THE TIME to consider what WILL be a good photo. (I am using capital letters to emphasize to myself what I need to do.) Some things look interesting, but are not good as pictures. I also need to be aware of how I would use the particular shot. I’ve learned the hard way that not every scene makes for good cards. Other shots are only good FOR cards while others would work for gallery exhibits, but might not be a good picture for someone to hang on their wall at home.

When it comes to editing, I need to work with the images that are good and not waste time trying to make something from one that is less than. AND I need to delete those less thans! I also want to experiment with ordering prints online to see differences in how those images would turn out compared to my own printing, plus try other sizes, papers, matting, and framing. Matting and framing is such a frustrating process for me that perhaps it would be to my benefit to try something else.

So, this is where I am at the moment in thinking about the out and about/adventure photography. Part 2 will cover the work I do for the newspaper, taking pictures at events, and of people.





No comments:

Post a Comment