Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Growing My Photography, Part 3: Covering Events

A year ago today, I visited Fort Sumter in Charleston, S.C. Fort Sumter is on a small island in the middle of the harbor which meant a boat ride. It was cold. I didn’t expect it to be so cold that far south. Still, being some place different from home, the feelings of cold were easily put aside to take in the sights and history.

I loved the traveling and seeing new sights. I loved the driving. I want to do more traveling, see more of our country, and yes, I do want to re-visit some of the places I went to last year.

Part 3 of my writing about photography is covering events which most often start out as work for the newspaper. The shooting may begin as all-over views catching wide angles and encompassing crowds. My mind set is more open, the shots random, and I don’t have to get permission from people as they are seldom recognizable in these pictures. The photos are more about the scene than particular people.

I don a different hat as my focus becomes more about specific booths or displays. There are group shots, individual shots, and interviews. For instance, during Muster Field Farm Days, there were four people sitting near logs and pounding the bark into strips from which baskets would be made.  For these small-group settings, I am still standing back and yet, I do have to talk to these people to get names and permissions.

Another hat comes out when I am doing a one on one interview. While covering the Artists Weekend at The Fells, I spoke with each participating artist individually about their work. I also took photos. I am so inspired and intrigued by these artists and craftspeople (like those at Muster Field Farm.) Unfortunately, very little makes it into the newspaper. I collect all these stories and photos, then what?

I often get side-tracked as I see things that I want to photograph from an artist’s point of view. There’s scenery, old vehicles, flowers and plants and more. I cannot focus on one thing. I am easily distracted. So, what might seem like a “quick assignment” can turn into a few hours. But I love what I do. It’s exciting. As much as it frightens the daylights out of me to approach people and ask questions, the excitement pushes me to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment