Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Travels with Sasha end of Day 7

The day starts with less pain than Sunday morning. I spend time on the laptop before heading up to breakfast. The waiter of the morning, Shane, talks with me about the ferret, animals getting into homes, and haunted places. Charleston is one of the top haunted cities of the country. There is heavy cloud cover over the city while the sky is clearer higher up. It sun is bright and blinding by the time it tops the dark cloud. Shane goes around pulling down the shades. 

The blog is written after I return to my room and 83 photos are imported into the computer. It takes some time to figure out how to get them to import into the Dropbox cloud and not onto the hard drive, but I think the photos ended up in both. It’s slowing this computer down. I edit a few of the photos and put them on Facebook, respond to a couple of emails then it is time to head off to an adventure.  

Josh is at the front desk. I remember him from the 2013 trip. He remembers me from my walking stick and says he’s the driver today and says it’ll be about 15 minutes and he’ll come get me in the waiting area of the lobby. There I talk with an elderly woman on her way to the hospital. 

The Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) is a huge place and people come from miles around. The VA Hospital is also nearby. Many people needing outpatient care and families of those with serious issues often stay at the hotel and make use of the free shuttle service. 

The first stop is the hospital where the older lady gets out. Another lady is picked up. At the next stop, the other passengers get out. Josh talks to everyone by first name. This southern hospitality is refreshing and after a short ride, strangers have learned something of one another and we depart with a feeling of camaraderie. 

Josh drops me off at a stop and points out land marks so I can find my way back to the pick-up place. I head off down the street toward the carriage vendors. Almost everyone passing smiles and says hello. I approach the Palmetto Tours ticket booth as Josh had given me a discount coupon. The guy says the next tour is at 1 p.m. It’s just before noon. I don’t want to wait an hour and I certainly don’t want to shop and have to be carrying anything on the tour. 

I cross the street and seek out the carriage company I traveled with in 2013. There are a few people waiting and I recognize the driver from before, Janice. They honor the competitor’s discount coupon. I chat with the ticket lady and Janice and take pictures. I take the front seat and a woman with a 3-year-old daughter sit behind me. (Oh, great, now I have to listen to a kid!) 

Soon we are off. Janet stands up and alternates between guiding Ralph, the big French Percheron, and facing the passengers to explain how the tours work. The horses wear special rubber shoes while working. They also have normal shoes, but the rubber shoes, which look to be an inch thick, help protect the “boys’ ” (this company only has male horses) hooves and joints from the hard surface of the streets. The rubber shoes are removed when the horse is off duty. All the horses get breaks between tours. 

There are five carriage tour companies and the city devised a plan to regulate the tours so there isn’t overcrowding of any particular area or route. Most of these streets also get heavy vehicle traffic and everyone needs to work together.  

So, around the corner, at another corner, is a little ticket house with a bingo machine. The ball that pops up designates the route for that carriage. There are no choices. You get what comes up. That means, should you take another carriage ride, it is possible to get the same route. This system divides the city into three zones, keeps the carriage companies from bunching up in one area, and only 20 carriages are allowed out at a time. Each driver must provide their name and license number, the tour company, and horse’s name to the attendant every time they go out. The carriages also carry little weighted flags and although the horse wears a diaper, if he urinates, the driver drops a flag and calls in “Radiator leak on” such and such a street and a cleanup company goes out to take care of it. 

I couldn’t remember the 2013 route, but not long into this trip, I realize that it is the same. No big deal because it is still enjoyable. Janice explains the old city layout and her stories often have a humorous side. I alternate between taking notes and snapping photos. Sometimes I just hold the camera up and snap away. It’s not easy to manipulate camera, notebook, and pen as the carriage jerks along. 

There are aspects of the city that are beautiful. The little courtyards between homes, some with fancy gates and fences and various vegetation, are gorgeous. Many of the homes look skinny. They are called a Charleston Single House which means they are one room across with porches on either side depending on which way the wind blows. (Allowing the breezes to cool the porches and flow through the house through open windows and doors are important during the hot summers.) The first floor is usually two windows and a door across and three windows across on the upper floors. Some are painted pretty colors, but all must follow particular guidelines. 

This has to do with the 75 Year Rule which dictates that any place 75 years or older cannot be taken down or changed on the outside and nothing can be built higher than the church steeples. Of course, there have been exceptions here and there. Anything can be done on the inside, however. 

A favorite sign read: Please block driveway. Tow truck drivers like your business. 

The tour was enjoyable and for a bit, we followed the Ashley River which is beautiful. By the end of the tour, the sun had gone behind heavy clouds and it was cold. I was glad I’d worn a sweater and coat and had a blanket over my lap. Janice chatted about writing with me for a few minutes after everyone else left then I headed off to check out the market. 

The market is a row of long brick building open on both ends where artisans set up to sell their wares. Some are regulars with the same spots and others are come as they may. I pick up a couple of things for Karen and Evan as a thank you for taking care of Pele and watching the house for me. For myself, I buy a pair of purple leather with fur trim fingerless gloves. (I couldn’t resist the purple.) Many of the vendors are sweet grass basket weavers, but there are also jewelry counters, scarves and fiber arts, food, photos, wood turning, and more. 

I arrive at the pick-up point at 1:50 p.m. I couldn’t quite remember when Josh said he’d be back. I must have just missed him. I don’t dare leave in case he comes. I stand there well over an hour as people come and go on school buses and trolleys. My back and feet hurt so horribly! 

 The shuttle finally shows up at 3:45 and the driver isn’t Josh. The woman is at first grumpy due to her other clients making her late. After awhile she warms up to me and we have a nice chat. We stop at the MUSC and pick up the woman whom I’d talked to earlier. 

I am hungry and quickly drop coat and sweater in the room and head up to happy hour. I get out notebook and pens. Derek brings over a mai tai and I get out notebook and pens. Soon two elderly gents arrive and sit at the table behind me. The clouds over the city are amazing and I take quite a few pictures. Comments are made about where it might be raining. 

 “Look at the rainbow!” Meckie comes running over. I grab the camera again and get up to get different angles.  

“It’s a double rainbow on the left,” someone else calls out. The rainbows disappear into the cloud cover, but what we can see of them is beautiful and they stretch from near the southern tip of the peninsula to past the bridge over the Ashley River. 

I end up turning around and chatting with the two older gentlemen behind me. They tell me about the city and point out landmarks. We have the best conversation! 

It’s time for dinner so I move a few tables down to the restaurant side. Nicole is the waitress. I order the special of roast beef, garlic mashed potato and green beans. It’s delicious. She also works the front desk in the lobby. I’m her only customer so we chat for quite awhile. She explains that although this is a Holiday Inn, it is independently owned and not part of the chain. It’s interesting hearing about the hotel industry and how they have a lot of guests who have appointments at the MUSC or VA Hospitals or have family hospitalized there. 

It’s surprising to hear that many of the guests never venture up to the restaurant. What a shame. Even if someone doesn’t want to enjoy a meal, the views are so amazing and can lend some comfort for those going through a stressful time. 

The evening was so enjoyable. This was the happiest day of travel, yet! The people on this journey have been so friendly and I couldn’t be happier. 

The meal finished, I head back to the room. My back is aching. I check in back home and watch a couple of home shows on TV before crawling into bed.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment