Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Packing and downsizing

Yesterday I started packing linens and filled a large tote box. There are three bathrooms in this house and I live alone. Do I need so many sets of sheets in various sizes, towels, facecloths, and curtain components? Do I need a pile of cloth napkins and placemats? I prefer cloth over paper, but I am one person and the couple of times anyone is over for a meal, we usually use paper napkins at that point.

I do not do this packing/downsizing well. How can I get rid of items without knowing where I’m moving? I don’t know what colors will be in my new home and I can’t afford to buy all new items. (Oh, I’d love to buy all new items if I could.) Do I need a myriad of curtain tie-backs and an odd panel here and another with a different pattern there?

Last night during TV time, I re-went through that box and pulled out items and the extras that I definitely do not need. I can’t let myself think about cost or the condition of the items. That doesn’t matter. What matters is the downsizing! At the moment, I’ve only filled two bags that will go bye-bye, but it’s a start and is something that will not go to the new home.

Another consideration is renting a pod to put all that I’m keeping. Cleaning out this house will help me see (I have a problem visualizing space versus the size of items) what can go to the new home and what needs to be disposed. Unfortunately, that rental is at a cost and I have to be very aware of my finances. What if the two months extend into four or six? And if I have to rent a place to live until my new home is ready, there goes money that would go towards the new home.

Oh, if I could be a Jeannie and blink my eyes and nod my head and everything would be magically all set and ready. (That’s a reference to an old TV show “I Dream of Jeannie”). 



No comments:

Post a Comment