Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Travels with Sasha Day 12


January 31  

Saturday finds me at McDonald’s by 8:30 a.m. This is not the most comfortable place to work, but I have a seat right near the cashier (or whatever you call them) and she allows me to pass my cord over the low wall and she plugs it in to an outlet at the register so I don’t have to work off the battery. I’m not a McD’s fan, but figure I need to order something. Two hash browns and a medium orange juice will hold me for awhile. Later a coffee is ordered; people have said the coffee is good here and they are right. 

It’s good to have internet access again and I check email and Facebook messages before buckling down to work on the newspaper. The editing comes first and sometimes a writer needs to be contacted for clarification or I message Annette with questions. The day goes on. The To Edit folder empties and the calendar is done. There isn’t anything to add to the docket. My Bradford Neighbor column is last for the day. I order chicken nuggets and fries to again “pay” for allowing me to sit here all day. 

The place is distracting, though. I can’t believe the number of people who come to McDonald’s during the day. Is it just this place or are most McD’s this busy? Sometimes I look out to see if there is a bus as the steady stream enters the door. How horrible to eat this food all the time! I guess McDonald’s never has to worry about going out of business. (A wave of sorrow passes over me as I think about all the mom and pop-local people businesses that cannot get enough customers to make it and yet these huge chains suck all the business out of the areas.)

The work is finished at 4:30 and I head back to Andrea’s. She is out on the back patio with Carol and Rich. I join their lively conversations. What great people! Later, Lance fires up the grill and cooks up chicken while Andrea makes cole slaw and beans. Another good meal with good friends! It doesn’t get any better than this.

 

I am so thankful for this time. Normally, I would be sitting home all alone (well, me ‘n Pele).

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment