Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Travels with Sasha Day 9


January 28, 2015 

The weather report this morning at 6:30 says it is 34 degrees here in Charleston, S.C. The packing is finished except the laptop. I go up to the restaurant for one last sunrise. I’m not hungry, not feeling the greatest. I order an English muffin. I don’t even want coffee, just water. The sunrise doesn’t disappoint. 

Photos are imported onto the laptop; another 360. Many are deleted. I keep the camera setting on the running man symbol to catch birds in flight and it’s better for traveling. That means two or three pictures are often taken depending how long the shutter button is held. There are more to go through and I need to do this more often because far too many are kept. 

The hotel is vacated at 8:30 a.m. and Rte. 17S is crossed to catch Rte. 61 back to Magnolia Gardens. The Audubon Swamp Garden had been paid for yesterday and I don’t want to throw the admission away. I stop at Rite Aid for a case of bottled water now that I don’t have to worry about it freezing overnight and Magnolia Gardens is reached at 9 a.m. 

The path is followed to the boardwalk entrance and the pass code put in. The door slowly opens. The boardwalk meanders around tupelos and cypress trees, over swamp water so filled with duck weed that it looks like a solid lime green sheet. Dried cattail grasses bend over adding to the thickness of the area. It’s easy to understand how the old rice fields are filling in. 

The sun is out and I’m walking straight into it. I left my sunglasses in the car. Pictures are taken to later show what I talk about. Various bird calls echo through the trees and across the water offset by someone’s yapping little dog which barked almost the entire time I was there! 

I visit the old plantation cemetery. It looks like they are still finding graves as brush has been recently cleared. There are a lot of little birds, but I can’t get close enough to see what they are. A red-headed woodpecker is up above. I can’t look directly up without my back hurting. 

The rookery is reached and the few trees in the open water have huge nests in them. It’s surprising that nests that large can be supported on thin branches. Four great blue heron are counted. I can’t get over seeing such big birds in those trees. It’s almost comical. 

Wait! What’s that black movement in the water? It’s an alligator. I hadn’t expected to see any because of the cold. Evidently the sun has warmed the water enough for this guy. I wonder if they stay in the open water or if they come over into the duck weed filled sections. The alligator moves to the sunning platform, but doesn’t climb out of the water. (Sunning platforms were built for the ‘gators to give customers a chance to view the creatures and, probably, to keep them from sunning on the dikes where people walk.)  

I continue to follow the paths and boardwalks. This day great herons or ibis are not seen, but there are Canada geese, teal, and other water birds. My back gives me trouble again and by the time I make it back to the car, I’m just barely shuffling along and so intent on getting there that I stop looking around. Arrgh!

I’m back on the road by 10:30 after being at the swamp gardens for an hour and a half. I also realize, as I drive along, that the long straight narrow ridges seen from the road must be old dikes and the low areas on either side were once rice fields. After all, these plantations were once thousands of acres. 

Rte. 17S is soon accessed and after awhile, the traffic thins and the road narrows. Creeks and rivers are crossed. There are places touting wildlife refuges. If I wasn’t hurting, I’d love to visit some of these areas. An hour into the drive, I stop at a place that sells different flavors of cider and buy a peach cider and shortly after that, Rte. 17 merges onto I-95. The Savannah River and the Georgia border are crossed an hour after that and soon I take another break, this one at the Georgia Welcome Center. 

The debate is to spend the night in Jacksonville, Fla., or make a stop in Georgia. I’m looking over discount hotel coupons when an older man asks about my walking stick. He has a really nice one, too – he makes them. He talks about the huckleberry and how it grows counterclockwise around saplings. Other people stop to listen and examine both our sticks. Frank says he’s sold over 1,000 mostly from meeting people on the street. He poses for a picture. 

I pick up a hotel coupon book and spend time trying to decide how far I want to go today.  The decision is made to stay a night in Georgia. I’m going to shoot for a Comfort Suites off exit 3 just before the Florida border. The ad calls it a brand new hotel and that they serve fresh baked cookies every day. 

Georgia is another state with a 70 mph speed limit, but it’s still a drive. I believe the first exit from South Carolina is exit 109 – and I’m going to make it to exit 3? I’m tired and do a lot of wiggling in my seat to keep awake. When the driving is tedious, it’s easy to doze off. Many rivers and creeks are crossed. There are more red buds on trees and signs tempt the traveler to places like wildlife refuges, historical places, islands, beaches, and more.  

Some signs are very high. I don’t understand that. If a driver is looking that high to read the signs how is it possible to watch the road? I drive on and on. 

The Comfort Suites in Kingsland is reached at 2:38 p.m. Cookies aren’t served until 5 p.m. (At dinner time? That’s weird.) The pool is right across the hall from my room and as soon as I get settled, I change into a swim suit and go over. The water is cold, but I still do it swimming back and forth the length of the pool; not that it’s a big pool, but it’s refreshing. My back doesn’t even bother me. 

I return to my room to dry off and change back into street clothes. I find it hard to believe this is a new hotel. At least it has a couch and a more comfortable work space than the Holiday Inn, but the furniture looks worn and a bit abused. I try to order delivery as I’m starving. There are lots of nearby restaurants; one even within walking distance, but there is no way I could walk that distance.  

There’s an ad for a pizza place on the stand with the TV station listings. The phone number, when called, is out of service. Well, that’s not very good guest hospitality. The front desk says I have to look up a number for a pizza place out of the phone book. He is not very accommodating. 

I call Papa John’s. I don’t have a menu (first hotel I’ve stayed that doesn’t have area menus) and have to ask what they have. I order a small cheese pizza and chicken poppers. The pizza is good when it arrives. However, this is the first pizza I’ve ever ordered that comes with a garlic dipping sauce and a jalapeno pepper. Eww. I fill up on a few slices of pizza and don’t eat any chicken.  

The heater in this place is noisy. They are all noisy, but in other places, there is a fan to leave on which makes a constant drone. This place, the heater comes on, then goes off which is a lot of noise, then not. The walls must be really thin because I can almost hear the words from the next room. I watch TV and keep fiddling with the volume to coincide with that heater.

I finally crawl into bed at 9:30, sleep well for a couple of hours, then was very restless the rest of the night.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment