Sunday, February 8, 2015

Travels with Sasha Day 18


February 6 

I can’t wait to be out of this crappy hotel! The one good thing, the bed was very comfortable and I slept well. The bags are packed and loaded in the car as soon as it is light. I go back inside to have a biscuit and gravy. That is as dull and dry as this hotel. Ugh, I can’t even eat it. Even the gravy is tasteless. Maybe it’s just me and I’m ready to be home. I throw my breakfast in trash and in turning I lose my balance and fall against an older woman. Good thing I don’t knock her over. 

I’m on the road by 7:30 and the temperature is 30 degrees. Google maps said Fredericksburg, Va. is six hours away. The Santee River is crossed. How beautiful! This would actually be a nice area to explore – someday – like I say all too often. The driving is tedious and I push for North Carolina before stopping for gas. (I should’ve stopped before the border because gas there was $1.98/gl. and on this side, $2.14 (I do find one for $2.09.)  

The speed limit in North Carolina is only 65; funny how dropping 5 mph feels so much slower. The driving is a bit tedious and just before Florence, the speed limit goes up to 70, then later drops back to 65. Many vehicles don’t even bother to slow down while others stay in the middle lane and drive slow.  

I take a break in Selma to visit a historic train station, but then I don’t explore it. I do take a couple of train photos, though, as it’s still an active area. My feet and legs are aching and it helps to walk about a bit.  

The Virginia border is crossed at noon and the lady at the VIC says Fredericksburg is two hours away. She gives me the Hotel Coupon booklet for the discount at the Comfort Inn & Suites then shows me a flyer dropped off by Wingate by Windham reps about a special they are running. Most hotels charge an additional $10 or more a night for Fridays and Saturdays and I’ll be checking in both of those nights. Regular nights for both hotels are the same, but Wingate is only charging $5 a night more for the weekend. Plus, they not only have an indoor pool, but also a hot tub. Oh, my. Wouldn’t a hot tub feel nice on my aching body.  

Oh, dear, what a decision. Comfort Inn & Suites has that wonderful mineral pool and they were so nice to me in 2013. But this trip is supposed to be different. Why should I think the Wingate wouldn’t be as nice? Well, I’ll make the decision when I get there. 

I opt to take I-295 around Richmond to get photos of the Varina-Enon Bridge over the St. James River. This had been the first Oh, My, God bridge I crossed in 2013 and back then I didn’t realize I could take pictures while the vehicle is moving. (Don’t tell anyone.) Fantastic! I love these bridges. If I wasn’t driving, I could get more and better pictures. 

I was one hurting puppy by the time I reached Fredericksburg. Oh, was it difficult to walk! Good thing I have the walking stick. The Wingate is chosen and I’m assigned Room 424. Bonnie says it will be quieter after I explain that I’m the editor of a local newspaper back home and I work on Saturdays. I also need to do laundry and she tells me how to get to that room.

This room is great! It’s spacious and the light by the bed was on when I come in making it a warm welcome. There’s room for both suitcases, plus a good-sized work desk, an easy chair with footstool in the corner from where I can watch TV, plus other amenities.   

The dirty laundry is dragged to the laundry room. Everything costs four quarters. I put the money in the soap dispenser machine, but the little box doesn’t drop down which mean I hobble down the hall to the front desk where she hands me a box. Everything fits in the washer, but a couple of items. I hide the suitcase behind the door and return to the room where I work for half an hour, then go back to tend to laundry. 

The dryer is loaded and four quarters are put in the machine for Bounce. Again, nothing and I hobble back down the hall to the desk and then back to the laundry room. OK, set, and it’s up to Room 424 where I order delivery of fettucini Alfredo, Caesar salad, and tiramisu which arrives in half an hour and is delicious. 

I return to check on the laundry. Not dry and I’m out of quarters. Crap! Another hobble to the front desk and back and the dryer is restarted. Up on the fourth floor, I finish dinner and clean up the work folders. An hour later, I’m back in the laundry room. Noooo! Still not dry. By now, I can hardly walk. You’d think with all the walking I’ve done the past two weeks that this wouldn’t be happening. Somehow, though, the day’s driving did a number on me. One more trip to the front desk. 

Third time was the charm and the clothes were finally done. However, I had little energy left and took care of the clothes in piece meal; do a few items, sit. But I got it done. Oh, that bed felt so good when I got in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment