Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Piecing bits together


A good part of yesterday was spent editing more photos of the trip and working on the writing of days four and five. I hadn’t blogged for day 5 and my notes in my pocket notebook got mixed up as to the days. Then because I carried my journal to the restaurant when I was in Charleston, the writing went back and forth between that day and the previous. (The journal usually is writing about the day before.) This is leading me to have to decipher which paragraph goes to what day. 

So, to write the book, I am looking at the pocket notebook, the blog, journal, and photos taken that day. Then I’m searching the internet for added information. Some things didn’t get written in the moment and were noted later and other moments were not written about at all, but between the writing now and reviewing the photos, memories come through.

The highlight in this morning’s journal writing was remembering how welcoming everyone was at the Holiday Riverview in Charleston. My first couple of days was spent mostly working and most of that was spent in the Harbor View Restaurant on the 15th floor. The staff was gracious and there were moments when “seeing if I needed anything,” they would tell me a little about themselves. 

Granted, the place wasn’t busy and never once did anyone spend too much time with me so as to take away from their duties. Nor did they ever ignore any of the other customers. This attention meant a lot to me. I was so thankful for the face to face conversations. 

Other customers were also friendly and it was wonderful to overcome my shyness and strike up conversations. I even got names and permissions to add to my story. 

The hotel room itself may have been outdated, too small a work space, and a little shabby, but the staff and guests certainly made this a most enjoyable stay. What nice memories.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment