Friday, July 10, 2015

House Hunting Continues

The deadline for my having to be out of this house draws ever closer. There is still much to pack and I still can’t find my dream house. It’s hard not to be discouraged and I spend a lot of time in tears. I know I have to stay positive and trust something good will happen.

There aren’t any homes out there that I feel comfortable purchasing. If I’m going to spend almost every penny I have, I would like to get at least close to what I want. I’m really beginning to doubt.

The biggest issue is that what most people want is not what I want. I am not cookie-cutter molded. I’m not average. That means whatever I want costs extra… and too often a lot extra. It always seems strange that here I am trying to go smaller and things cost more than if I went big. 

I’ve been looking into the double-wide manufactured home route. Everything I want costs more money. They have a big list of standard features which is doable if you want the cheapest of cheap in appliances, and the color schemes are appalling (at least, to me).

I fell in love with the smallest model I could find. The layout would work great for me, but there is unusable/unreachable space. There is question about adding an attached garage. “Why do you want an attached garage?” the woman kept asking. Duh, I’m older, live in New Hampshire where there is cold and snow and in a small place, I’ll need the storage.

So it’s back to: go the manufactured route which entails buying land, clearing, well, septic, slab, and driveway along with all the necessary permits or settle into someone else’s home they no longer want. I’m beginning to think there’s nothing out there that fits me. Everything will cost me a lot to make it mine. (Then again, I have to admit I am a total basket case when it comes to any kind of real estate.) 

What I need is a builder/contractor to take me on as a special project, a challenge, while staying within my budget. What they would get in return (besides being paid) is recognition and advertising. We would do an ongoing story about the progress in the newspaper and the newspaper would also give an amazing ad discount while the work was in progress.

This would be a unique opportunity for someone looking to enhance his business. The added bonus of having an ongoing story told about the process of building would also give readers information about building their own homes (even if it’s modular or manufactured). There’s so much involved and it’s very daunting.


No comments:

Post a Comment