Tuesday, July 28, 2015

House Hunting Stress

This past week was a major crash and burn as the stress got to me. I had a total meltdown. I know finding a new home isn’t easy, but I really believed I was looking for something more simple. In a way, I am, but simple and small isn’t necessary sellable and most homes, like everything else being marketed for future re-sale, is for average people and average families. I am not average. I get so tired of hearing, “Well, you have to think about resale value.” 

I don’t care about resale! I want this to be my last move. Why does everything have to be geared towards what the next person will want? Yes, I crashed realizing that I will have to settle for less than in an area I don’t want.

I gave in to despair and depression on July 20 feeling I will never be able to get what I want in a home (unless I could afford to spend a lot of money and build from scratch). I just can’t wrap my head around that a small house with less property costs as much as a bigger house with larger acreage. It’s like people who are wanting to go smaller are pushed into over 55 communities or places with large association fees or places that are more like camps. (I would like a 55 plus community if there was one in the area, but location, extra fees, and lack of privacy are major concerns.) 

I spend days perusing nneren.com looking for possible homes. Maybe I am too picky. “You have to compromise,” I keep being told. But does compromise mean I don’t get anything that I want? How can I not be depressed? I spent the past year making lists of what I want in a dream home and yes, I know I do have to compromise on some things, but this process is killing me. 

I went house hunting over the weekend. Nothing “spoke” to me. There were more cons about the places than the pros. I gave up on living in the area I want, but couldn’t I at least get a house I like, at the price I can afford? I’m beginning to doubt I can. There isn’t anything out there that fits me. 


My heart is breaking. It looks like I’ll have to leave my beloved Kearsarge/Sunapee area. This coming weekend I have to make a decision and put in an offer on something… anything… and learn to live with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment