Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Last Day before Leaving

I’m doing one more study of Google Maps and the atlas before leaving tomorrow. I want to be in Herkimer, N.Y., by 1 p.m. to take the Erie Canal tour. I’m nervous, scared, and excited. You would think after taking a couple of solitary trips already that I’d be an old hand at it. I’m not. 
Interstate 70 through Illinois and Missouri looks to be one huge construction zone after another. There’s not a quicker route, though, so even with all the headaches of slower and perhaps backed up traffic, it is still the better way to go.  

Yesterday morning I awoke with the realization I’m not just leaving on Wednesday, but Wednesday was in two days. Yikes! How am I going to do it all to get ready? I cranked some tunes and danced a bit as I got ready. I pulled out the box holding my two pretty dresses. Do I dare try them on? I haven’t put on a dress since the last cruise I went on in 2002. Hmmm, maybe they’re not too bad. I have a black rayon blouse I can wear over the top and leave open. Not as bad as I thought… as long as I don’t look too closely in a mirror.

I made piles on my bed; an outfit for seven days (not counting the dressy outfits). I’ll have to do laundry once while traveling. I have a routine I do with the suitcases. Most outfits go into the big suitcase. I use a smaller suitcase for items needed for the night and the next day. That way I don’t have to drag everything into the hotels each night. I will swap out dirty clothes for clean clothes for subsequent hotel stops (dirty ones are put in a plastic bag). A third smaller suitcase holds swimsuit, cover-up, and towel. That stays in the car, too, unless I’m at a hotel that has a pool. 

I couldn’t get my Tracfone to come on, so I took it to Radio Shack. I ended up buying a new phone. That went in the backpack along with recorder and spare camera lens.

I kept worrying about dressing up. I have the attitude that I’m not a dressy person; people will have to take me as I am. That’s a good stand in some aspects, but I am not comfortable about it in this instance and it really wouldn’t do for this kind of a wedding, especially as I’m family. I asked Nan McCarthy to come over and give her opinion on the dresses. I tried both on and was surprised by her reaction – she said they looked nice. OK, I’m going to wear a dress! And that meant I had to dig through my jewelry box to find something appropriate to go with the dress.

Throughout the day I plugged away and was surprised at how much I got done. I guess I’ll be ready after all… won’t I?

This morning my first thought was: Oh, my Gosh! I need to have wedding gift ready. I had an idea for that and later I ran out to the store to get wedding wrappings. 

Then there’s readying the bag of writing, drawing, reading, and work material. Another bag holds a plate, placemat, travel mugs for hot and cold beverages, and eating utensils. I do not like using Styrofoam plates, cups, and plastic knives and forks. Snacks and such go in a cooler. Do you think I over pack? I am considering taking my coffee pot and own coffee because I think hotel coffee tastes like dishwater, but I’m already taking so much. 

Tomorrow morning will be the last minute packing of laptop, journal, and anything I forgot today.


No comments:

Post a Comment