Friday, August 12, 2016

Time to Garden – Part 5

When, where, and how to build a rock garden

I am a bit of a rock hound. I’ve been collecting rocks for years -- from gem stones, minerals, beach rocks, and ones that just catch my fancy. I have pieces from Arizona, coral from the Caribbean, minerals from Ruggles Mine, and stones from other places I’ve traveled. There are glass bowls and small pine needle baskets inside the house holding pretty stones and outside I have small buckets and other containers full of various rocks (some I’ve actually paid for).

My plan outside is to build a rock garden. Now these are not the big rocks that make entire walls, these are mostly pocket-sized and smaller. (Hey, when I’m out for a walk with camera, notebook, and walking stick, what I pick up has to fit in my pocket!) 

A rock garden keeps coming to mind when I think about all these stones, but I can’t quite figure out in my head how to go about it. Do I build an entirely new area; a complete rock garden? And figure out how and what flowers to plant there? Or do I use them in the existing gardens to try to highlight the various plants? Do I line up all the stones so they can be seen or do I make piles? Also, do I try to choose the color of the stones to match or compliment the flowers around them?

Oh, so many choices. I’m kinda (love the not-real-word, kinda) leaning towards its own garden, but I’m not sure where to put it. Perhaps I should choose flowers for it first and do a real design instead of just throwing the flowers in the ground. However, I can’t even begin to imagine which flowers would look great with colorful and interesting rocks.

Still thinking and although I wanted to do it this year, it may not happen until next spring.



No comments:

Post a Comment