Thursday, August 18, 2016

Traveling to Wichita

Planning

My oldest grandson, Soren, is getting married. I’ve known about this for months because he called from Wichita in March to personally invite me. I was excited. Of course, I’ll come and I’ll drive out!  But once the initial excitement waned, I began to have second thoughts. What was I thinking! Drive to Wichita, Kansas by myself?

I perused Google Maps and a 2013 atlas checking the best routes. I figured the way I drive (only good for about five hours) that it will take five days to get out there. I’ll allow myself seven so I don’t have to hurry and can take time to sight see.

Interstate 90 will be the initial main route through New York and that goes near Niagara Falls. This might be my one chance to see those spectacular sites and I checked hotels in the area. My fear of crowds set in and I decided not to go to Niagara. I did book hotel rooms in Kansas City, Mo., and Wichita as I’m meeting up with family. Check-in date in KC is Sept. 1. 

Then I let a couple months go by. I’d mention to people that I would be traveling, but I didn’t do any further planning. Yesterday it hit me, “Oh, my Gosh, if I’m going to be in KC Sept. 1, I have to leave next week! Yikes!” I don’t have anything ready. Panic set it. I need to put together check lists, figure what I need to pack, and make room for my work which will come with me. Do I have to bring a dress for the wedding? I’m not a dress person. How am I going to get ready in time?

No, don’t panic, I keep telling myself. If worse comes to worse, I can throw some stuff in the car and just head out. I’ll be OK. I’ll make it. It will be a great adventure.

I spent a couple hours, well, four hours, on Google Maps and the atlas again studying the routes and time frames and taking notes. As with my other two solo driving trips, I’m making few solid plans. I want to be as spontaneous as possible. 

Initially I was thinking that I’d come home a different way, but I’ll probably return along the same routes. This way, if I see something interesting and don’t have time to stop on the way out, I can do so on the way back. Nothing is set in stone except I have to be home before Sept. 17. I’ll be home before then. I am thinking maybe I’ll be gone around two weeks.

New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indianapolis, Illinois, Missouri, and Kansas will be the states I travel in or through. I plan on doing my first over night in New York. It would be nice to do an Eric Canal tour. Will I be able to see Lake Erie from the thruway? I can’t think and although I’ve looked up a couple sites online, I’ll stop at rest stops for brochures or get them from a hotel.

I found one exciting site I’m hoping to visit. It’s called the Chain of Rocks Bridge and it spans the Mississippi River between Madison, Ill., and St. Louis, Mo. At one time, it was part of Route 66 and what’s really unique about this bridge is that there is a 30 degree bend in it. They had to build it that way because of the river and boat navigation. Today it’s part of a 300 mile network of hiking and biking trails. Parking is on the Illinois side. I hope I have the stamina to be able to walk at least a little ways out onto the bridge. Imagine the photographs! I’ll have to double up on Tylenol that day and hope I can walk that far.

Nan will take care of my precious puss, Pele, while I’m gone and today I went to Shaws to make sure there is plenty of food and kitty litter. I’m having a hard time getting my head around what I need to pack. 


The countdown is on. There is still much I need to do around the house and with the gardens. I don’t need to do it all before I leave. I really need to concentrate on my check list and making sure I have everything I need for the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment