Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Day 2 Update on Pastel Painting


The photo for this painting was taken in 2004 at Northwood Meadows. It’s been so long since I’d been there, I didn’t know if this was a river or a pond or if it had a name. This morning I looked it and found the area is now an official NH State Park and the body of water is called Meadow Lake. Seeing the website reminded me how beautiful it was walking the trails around the lake. I’d love to go back.

My philosophy is to never title my paintings of the exact place because I don’t want to sway viewers opinions. But now knowing this is a lake and not a river, I’ll consider changing the title of the painting.

I’m reading “The War of Art” by Steven Pressfield and in last night’s reading was the advice to do your work as an offering to God. This was a profound revelation to me. I often feel I get “help” from the Divine Presence or muses or spirits when writing or painting, but it never occurred to me to make my work as offerings to that Divine Presence. What a way of paying back!

I looked at the art work hanging on my walls and now see them as more beautiful than before. Anyone who purchases my work will be getting something that’s had the touch of the Divine. What a great feeling!

And it was with these thoughts that I entered the studio and spent an hour at the easel. I added some depth/detail to the horizon trees; didn’t like it, so smoothed it back out. Then added a little contrast to the water. I’m not happy with the water yet. It still needs a lot of work. I threw in a couple of lines where the foreground trees on the right will go and just that little bit adds to the composition

I moved on to the trees on the left bank. I’ve never done trees exactly like this, and instead of letting myself get frustrated, I felt like I was playing as I experimented with various greens, grays, browns, and blacks. Behind the foreground trees, the background is very busy with a lot of bare trunks. The pine trees are tall with the needled branches high (near the top of the paper). I’m used to doing scenes with more greenery or just a couple bare trees.

I used the sides of browns and blacks, added a little squiggly green, then made tree lines in black and brown. I like how it how came out. The different heights to the lines created depth to the trees. There’s still lots to do. Once I start filling in the foreground, it will come together better.

What’s ironic is this was the painting I was afraid of attempting, but I’m really liking it so far. Maybe because of what I read last night I didn’t go through the hate-it mode I usually experience at this stage. After all, if what I do is an offering, how can it not be good?

No comments:

Post a Comment