Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Know When to Call it Done and Walk Away


2:15 p.m.: Two more days. Yesterday, I chatted with Carol in the morning. She saw the FB posting from Sunday and wanted me to call the painting finished. I knew it needed more work. I didn’t get in the studio until 4 p.m. I wanted to finish. The hardest part was the tree trunks. They weren’t to my liking and to work on them meant having to reach over half the picture – and my hand was shaky. In the end, I was fairly pleased with the work, considered signing it but held off.

Of course, after I took a photo of the day’s work and edited it to post on FB, I saw flaws in my work and made notes on what to change today. When I went in the studio this morning, I started in on those trees again, and once more I couldn’t hold my hand steady. Sometimes I couldn’t tell where the sharp edge of the pastel was. I wish there was an undo button, ha-ha. Still, I made progress and decided to call it done. Just as I was signing it, someone knocked at the door and I jumped. That meant I had to fix my signature before taking the photo.



I started the final write-up of the journey with this painting, and looking at the uploaded photo on the computer, I saw a couple of things I didn’t like, so back in the studio I went … I re-did the water reflections, and changed the angle of water line, and added more vegetation on the right.

Jeez, I just don’t know when to leave it alone! I can pick and pick at it. Stop!!!


Lesson of the day (again): Know when to call it done and walk away!


No comments:

Post a Comment