Sunday, February 17, 2019

Evolution of a Pastel-Painter and Further Work

Bad me. How long have I been working with charcoal and pastel? I’ve known all along that working with pastels can be hazardous to your health if you don’t take precautions. I didn’t pay attention and now I’ve developed a cough. I’m not complaining. I knew there’d be consequences. I’ve quadrupled the issue, perhaps, by having four easels in the studio with works-in-process on all four. It also dawned on me that this is also hazardous to my kitties as they often come in the studio with me when I’m working.

So, now I’m looking at making changes. I’ve done some research online. Air purifiers/filter systems are too expensive. However, there are things I can do: 1. always wear a dust mask. 2. Work with the easel in an upright position so the loose pastel falls. 3. Tap the easel board to help the loose pastel fall – Never blow! 4. Create a drop tray attached to the easel to catch dust as it falls, which can then be dumped in the trash or re-used. 5. Keep a wet towel handy. 6. Put towels on the floor which can easily be picked up and washed.

Something came to me yesterday when I was getting ready for my day. Why do I always say I’ve never taken art lessons? I know high school doesn't really count, but I did take art all four years and later throughout my life, I took various courses here and there. No, it wasn't art school and nothing long-term, but I have taken lessons in ceramics, oils, acrylics, photography, watercolor, charcoal, acrylics again. Funny how the one medium I have fallen in love with is the one I never did take any classes in!

It’s about heart and soul. Maybe that’s why I strive to find my own way and to not copy what others are doing. Yes, I’ll pick up tips from other artists and consider suggestions. You heard of people wearing their hearts on their sleeves? I put mine into every painting I do.

I spent a little time in the studio the past couple days but hadn’t made time to write about it. My thought on the morning of Feb. 15 was about showing the inspiration photograph with the pastel-in-process. I was afraid people would find fault that my painting wasn’t exactly like the photo.


But wait! My goal is to not have the painting look exactly like the photo! The photo is only a guideline. I enjoy taking artistic license and allowing the painting to also have a say in what happens with it. So, why not show the photo and celebrate my style! Let the viewer see what can be done.

In the studio, I added different shades of green and more closer trees to start building the foreground. I played around with the blackish water adding a little color and re-doing the reflections.

Then yesterday I woke thinking: What if I used a stiff-bristled brush to give a little pine needle detail? I immediately pictured the brush and later, after finishing my editing work, I went in the studio.

The brush didn’t do what I expected. It removed the pastel from the paper. I know this will work. I have to experiment a little more by using the brush to pick up pastel from a soft pastel. Hmmm.

I added more yellow to the grassy areas. I’m not satisfied yet … (perhaps more shades of brown.) I worked on the trees and started building more in the foreground. I also worked on the rocks and decided to add a big rock in front towards the right.

Then I stepped back to review and as I felt something soft under my heel, I heard, “Reaoowwww!” Pele had come into the room and was lying on the floor behind me. I didn’t even know she was there. She ran and I ran after her.

“Baby, are you OK?” Tears started falling. The thought I’d hurt my baby … I couldn’t think. I scooped her up and cuddled. She purred, already forgiving me. It took me a while to forgive myself. At that point, I couldn’t do any more work.

1:30 p.m.: I spent an hour in the studio. Today was one of those days where I really, really struggled. I just couldn’t get it to come out how I wanted. I attempted more detail in the tree trunks and more contrast to the pine boughs. I added bushes to the background … but the two trees on the edge of the banking are giving me so much trouble! I do like the grassy areas better, though.

I tried to quit a few times but kept going back. I debated about not taking a photo, but my goal is to plot my progress (or lack thereof). In the end, I took a paper towel and blotted. It’s better than it was, but I’m not as close to being done as I thought.


The tree trunks and pine boughs need more work and the two trees on the edge of the banking. Yes, the rocks, too need more definition, and that’s even before I get to the foreground. Breathe in … breathe out. Tomorrow’s another day. It will get done and it will be beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment