Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Making a Timeline


I decided to make a timeline of thoughts during the process of my paintings. This one I labeled 19-004 and chose a photo back on January 7. 

The beginnings don't look like much
I did the initial sketch and then some early shading, but then two other paintings took my attention (which have since been finished and are now at the framers).

I usually have four paintings in process at the same time, and in the meantime, I readied two new paintings on the easels to replace the finished ones. I chose photos and started the beginning work.








Off to a good start
I went back in the studio today not sure which of the four I’d work on. I decided one of the first of the year, “Summer River,” for the working title. I began adding color for the underlayers but struggled with the correct blues. It’s funny. I have so many various shades and can’t find the right one? However, not too bad for a beginning.

The journey through doing pastel work is interesting. There’s always a challenge and a learning experience, no matter how long I’ve been at this. Each painting has its own obstacles, and sometimes, what worked in a previous scene, doesn’t seem to work on the current one.

One thing I always find intriguing is, no matter how much I study the original photo, when I take a picture of the current working, I am always amazed to notice something else. It makes the work exciting. I discover something new all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment