Sunday, September 20, 2015

Settling-in Goes So Slow

Sometimes I feel it will take me forever to get settled in. Do I like this house? Not yet, not really. Right now it’s just a place I live. I come here because Pele is here and I have to come home to my fluff-ball kitty. I have met a couple of neighbors and that’s good. However, this doesn’t feel like home. It hasn’t been Sasha-fied, and it isn’t what I want…yet.

What I want is taking time. Yes, everyone warned me. Yes, I need to be more patient. I can’t have it all now. It will come, it will… it will… but until then, I can’t help but feel… uninspired.
People ask, “How do you like your new home?” I can’t lie. “It’s just okay.”

A lot of it is a waiting game. I still need to get rid of a lot. I can’t do this until I get that done and I can’t do that until tradesmen can fit me into their schedules to do their part and they are all so busy. I’m living in limbo with messes all over the place and although I have all kinds of tote boxes, some are not quite the right size or exact shape for what I need. (sigh)

One good note this week was that my electrician friend came to change the old bug-filled range hood for the new one. The new one is on a circulator and does not require venting to the outside. And that means when I do my kitchen renovation this winter, I can have the stove moved out of its squished-in corner to the other side of the kitchen where there will be more prep and cook space. That will be so awesome! I don’t like having the stove in a cramped corner and that spot will be much better for the refrigerator. 

Mike also put in a dimmer for the lamp over the table. Now it is a much better work space. We also made plans for the generator which I hope to have installed before winter.

Another happy note for the week was selling a couple of items on Craig’s List. I was extremely pleased that my favorite old writing desk with file cabinet and printer stand found a good home. More things are ready to go out to the curb for free pickings while others were photographed and listed for sale on Craig’s List. 

Some things have to stay packed until the kitchen reno is done and others until next spring when the garage and mudroom are built. With such cramped space in the spare room, having to keep those things in storage takes up space I could use for art. Such as it is – as I said above – patience.

There’s still so much to go through, so much that cannot be kept. I have to get rid of lots more. It’s hard, but I am getting better at it. I want to feel happy here. I don’t, yet, but I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment