Sunday, September 20, 2015

Utilizing Space

One of the most important concerns in downsizing is utilizing space. This has been difficult for me because (not only do I have way too much stuff) I’m used to spreading out and not always putting things away thinking I’ll get back to it later. When space is limited, that luxury is no longer wise… not that it was wise before.

A quick look at the bedroom closet space in this house would make you think it’s ample enough. There is the wire shelving system making the one main shelf with clothes hanging below. Then on either side of the closet, the previous owner built wood shelves. This looks great except for one big issue: if there are any clothes hanging, you can’t get to the shelves without pushing the clothes to the side and messing them up.

An upcoming project will be to re-organize the closets to best utilize the space. I’ve seen some great organizing systems. It gets pricey, but in the end, if I can use all the space I can and have each section easily accessible and organized, it will be worth it.

And staying on the subject of space, this all makes me think about those who design and install cabinets and such. Sometimes I can’t help but wonder what they are thinking or do they even consider how the space will be realistically used. 

The bottom kitchen cabinets in this place are one big cavernous space with no shelves. The counter is deep which means items get pushed to the back of the cabinets below and you have to get down on your hands and knees and crawl inside to get them or to clean. (With my short arms, I can’t do it, nor can I reach inside to the back of the corner cabinets... let alone get down on my knees.)

There are many places in a house where space could be better utilized. That’s something people moving to tiny homes (and those that build the tiny homes) are learning to do. Perhaps those designing and building bigger homes could learn from the tiny home people. 

Everyone needs to be more aware of space and how to best make use of space. It’s another form of creativity after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment