Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day 3, Jan. 23



 
Slept better last night, but I’m up at 4 a.m. with a horrible headache. I should have gotten up earlier to take some aspirin. I did go to bed before 9:30, so it’s not a big deal to be up now.

I hope this morning’s coffee is better than yesterday’s. It might be the water, too, city water. I can smell it when I turn on the tap. Bottled water is $1.50 out of the machine for a 20 fl. oz. bottle. I bought one last night, probably should’ve bought two. Yep, should’ve gone with the bottled water, but at least it’s better than yesterday’s and I am drinking it. Maybe today I should stop at a store and get a gallon.

While watching TV last night and during commercials, I looked over the brochures I picked up yesterday. Martinsburg has a train station, so that’s where I’ll be headed this morning before I leave town. There are some great scenic trains in the state, but they don’t run this time of year. Awww, I would have liked to go on a train ride.

I saw quite a few camper trailers with Canadian plates on the road yesterday. I think half of them ended up here. When I went down to the lobby to get help with the internet service, I felt I’d walked into a different country with all the French being spoken. The lady at the desk told me they’re all heading to Florida. That must be fun, get a bunch of friends together with campers and go on a convoy vacation.

This morning in doing my journaling and writing about the seatbelt issue, I am wondering if I should just make a chapter on that. No, the issues with that didn’t come up all at once and need to be in the proper place in my tale. I am now just thinking about the overall picture. Yes, I probably could use another inch or two with the belt, but I also realize a couple other things.

There’s no sense in feeling guilty about that extension I used on the airplane. I don’t think that would work for the Escape. I also realize that the fabric from my shirt, that of the seat cover, and going by feel where to insert the buckle are my problems. The few other times I stopped yesterday I had less trouble getting that buckle done up. Yes, it’s a nuisance to have to take off sweater (after a couple of times a lot of static builds up) and coat in below 20 degree temperatures, but it’s doable. If I find a Ford garage, I might stop and see if I can get an extension.

Other remembrances come up as I journal. I want to figure out how to record everything that’s interesting. The hardest thing is the highway driving. Yes, it gets one quicker to a destination, but so much is missed along the way. Yet, there are things and vantage points to see from the highway than from another road. For instance, the back of the farms are seen from the interstate and because the route is higher, so much more is seen; a totally different scene than from a front, eye-level view.

A couple of things I forgot to mention on about the first two days: 1.) I saw my first dead deer on the side of the road soon after getting on Rte. 84 in N.Y. and yesterday on Rte. 81, I saw other critters. I always feel so bad. 2.) I saw my first accident and it was a bad one. A small red sports car was in a ditch and when traffic moved, a big black SUV was rolled over all smashed up and glass everywhere. I can’t remember where, whether the last part of PA or in MD.

I started a time-line this morning to record mileage, temperature, weather, and expenditures. Now, I’m debating breakfast. I’m not really hungry. I have to go down to get the luggage trolley, so I suppose I could check it out.

I am thinking that when I got to write the book for this, I will print out these pages so I can see where I need to “fix” things.

Well, I’m off for the day. The skies are sunny with a few clouds. Too bad it has to be so horribly cold. I have NO idea what today will bring. I’ll be crossing into Virginia later this morning.

Enjoy the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment