Thursday, January 17, 2013

More Packing and More Plans



 
I thought the sun was showing to be a bright day today after a full snow day yesterday, but the overcast has overcome. The trees are beautiful this morning laden with heavy snow and the ground is white and pristine. The wind is blowing snow from the trees in big clumps dotting the ground with small craters.

It’s been a busy past couple of days. One thing I’ve said little about is the trouble I am having with my left leg around lateral the side of my knee. Even lying in bed at night, the leg aches and driving does a number on it. When I first get up and try to walk, it’s horrible. Once I move around, it gets better.

I made a run to Concord on Tuesday; still trying to get my cell phone set up properly. Getting out of the truck and walking was very painful after that 50 minute drive. This issue is going to force me to make sure I stop every hour on my trip to get out and walk around a bit. That’s probably a good thing bum leg or not. I will have to make more use of rest stops which is something I’d not done in the past.

The lady at the Verizon Store said that it may be best for me to wait until my first night in the hotel to finish setting everything up. She showed me a couple of things and I am feeling more confident about it. I’ve been advised to wait until just before I leave to re-activate the phone. No sense in wasting any more money in adding time that won’t be used.

I picked up a couple of items at Staples before heading to the mall. I can’t resist pens. I am a pen-a-holic. I also picked up a couple of small notebooks that I can fit into pockets when out and about. I’d been debating whether to get another flash drive or memory card to store photos, but an associate at the store said that with Dropbox, I should be fine.

I needed a new filter for the refrigerator and thought I’d get a couple new bras and new sneakers which is why I went to Steeple Gate Mall. I hadn’t bought new ones of either in ten years. I hiked from one end of the mall to the other and back. Lane Bryant was having a sale on bras of buy two get two free. They only had two in my size, but I was able to order the other two online. Hopefully, they will arrive here before I leave. I got a pair of black Nike sneakers with purple and turquoise trim at Finish Line.

By the time I got back to the truck, feet, legs, and back were hurting. Next stop was Ocean State Job Lots to pick up new reading glasses. They have them for $2.99 each. I got half a dozen as I keep them in work and reading areas, plus one in the truck and I carry one with me. By then, my stomach was also hurting. Was I falling apart?

Wait a minute. It was 2:30 p.m. and I hadn’t eaten anything. I’d only had a cup and a half of coffee and a couple sips of water and I’d been up since 4:30 a.m. No wonder I wasn’t feeling well! I stopped for take-out at Dragon Star before heading home. By the time I sat down to eat, it was after 4 p.m.

Yesterday, it was off to our weekly breakfast in Hillsborough with fellow artists after checking to make sure it was still on in spite of the snow. I needed to deliver my entries to Nan for the Jaffrey Civic Center Spring Show as I will not be here for the actual delivery day. The drive down wasn’t bad. The roads were slushy, but the trucks were out sanding. The landscape is quite pretty on snowy days.

Bob and Jane had recently driven to Florida over the holidays. I appreciate the tips they were able to give. For instance, Bob said that they had left at 7 a.m. and were able to reach Martinsburg, WV before stopping for the night. That gave me some idea of what is possible. I know, too, to realize that weather and the number of times I stop will be a factor in how far I get.

We talked about hotels. They suggested the Hampton Inns as having reasonable rates and being clean. They also said that many have breakfast included and may have laundry opportunities. These inns also have secure parking lots. Having a clean room and being able to do laundry once a week is a concern. I’m still debating about bringing my own pillows.

That’s one of the best things about a driving vacation. I can bring more than I might need. That doesn’t mean I have to drag everything into the hotel. I am thinking that I could pack my clothes in the biggest suitcase. As weather conditions may vary, I can pack plenty of cold and warm items. When I stop for the evening, I can transfer whatever articles I need for the night and next day into a smaller case.



No comments:

Post a Comment