Sunday, January 27, 2013

Day 6, Jan. 26, Part 2




Yesterday, I left the inn in Leland, N.C. at 10:10 a.m. The odometer read 14268.0; it was 41 degrees under pale blue skies with a faint overcast. It had rained a little during the night, but I still think I have the dirtiest vehicle around. (Yeah, I know I should stop at a car wash.) I entered South Carolina at 11:55 a.m. with the odometer at 14310.8 and the temperature had risen six degrees.

I was the only visitor, so all three ladies behind the desk chatted with me. A reservation at the Holiday Inn Riverview in Charleston was made for me. It offers free shuttle service to the historic district which I thought would be good as it cost to park. Plus, I feel the need to not have to drive in traffic for a day. One thing I’ve discovered about these welcome centers is that the people, as friendly and as helpful as anyone could want, they are very close lipped when commenting on neighboring states. I made comments on my trip down and they were like, “Hmmm, yes, well, we can’t really comment on that.”

I left with a bunch of brochures on places I want to visit. At least I was given a bag this time for them. Back on Rte. 17S, the drive this day was tedious, 55-60 mph and uneventful. Myrtle Beach was stop and go with 45-55 mph between lights and this was the straight through, not Ocean Blvd. The Welcome Lady had said that would be even slower. This is a shopping mecca; miles and miles of stores, shops, and places to eat. It was a little overwhelming with south and north bound three lanes wide. I mostly stayed in the middle. The senses were assailed with sign after sign, some too small to read until right up close. By then, if I’d wanted to stop, I would have been going by.

Past Myrtle Beach, I began watching for signs for Murrell Inlet where I planned to make my first stop. I took the left exit then realizing I did not see a sign for Brookgreen Gardens. This just ended up being a loop and I came back out on Rte. 17. A short time later, I did see the sign I was looking for and it was a right hand turn.

Brookgreen Gardens, Murrell Inlet, S.C.

Brookgreen Gardens is an amazing place to visit. It cost $14 to get in to just the gardens. (There’s a zoo and other attractions that I didn’t even consider.) I spent a little over an hour wandering around and I’m not even sure I saw half of it. One of the most touted aspects are the sculptures which are everywhere often the focal point in gardens and some are even housed in galleries. I wasn’t there for that, though they were amazing. I was interested in the gardens.

How nice it was, after the dull colors of winter, to see pansies, daffodils, and narcissus starting to bloom. What were most impressive were the H-U-G-E trees sporting that moss. I’m not sure three or four men putting their arms around these massive giants could touch fingers. The lady at the welcome center had been hesitant when I’d asked about the trees on which the moss grew. She gave me the answer of oaks, but the trees in these gardens were not oak. These trees had kind of a rhododendron-look leaf. I looked for little info signs, but for the longest time, the only ones explained about the sculptures. After finally seeing a couple little signs, I think these are magnolias.

Do magnolias grow that big and have such massive trunks? Some of the limbs were as wide as I or wider! Some were held up with cable and many had long strands of moss dripping from them. That’s what it reminded me of; like when water freezes while dripping from rocks, like stalactites, like the tattered rags hanging off zombies.

Another familiar, but not quite the same, plant had red, yellow, or pink hibiscus type flowers, but the leaves again looked like the rhododendron family. I saw a sign that said camellia. Most of these flowers were just about gone by. Many blossoms had already dropped to the ground.

There were palm trees, more than one variety and lots of saw palmetto. Those leaves remind me of many fingered hands.

Then I came across a barkless, leafless tree with that moss on it. Was that weird! It looked naked. A little sign identified it as a crepe myrtle.


Beyond the Labyrinth

Beyond the Labyrinth
waters run a muddy color
like coffee with cream that has set too long
gray ghost skeletons
seem to creep from the swamps
their raggedy moss tattered garments
drip from crooked limbs
in a haunted scene from months’ past

After days of freezing cold
it’s nice to feel the sun’s warmth
silent, meditative, and restful
like this lazy river

Cardinal red adds bright spots
against brown leaves and dead grass
wind whispers through saw grass
breathe in… breathe out…
Listen… liii..stennnn…

After days of freezing cold
it’s nice to feel the sun’s warmth.


There was much more to see and many paths to further travel, but it was getting late and I wanted to make Charleston by 4 p.m. My body was also beginning to ache and I’d not eaten since having a banana at 9 a.m. The welcome lady had also told me that there wasn’t anything past Georgetown. She was right, but I eventually came to an entire section called Sweet Grass Alley. This consisted of miles of periodic side of the road skeleton set ups that held baskets and other things made with sweet grass. I was tempted to stop. I didn’t. Then came a section where new sidewalks had been installed and I wondered, on a highway with a speed limit of 55-60, where were customers supposed to pull over to buy any of these products? How sad for the vendors in this section. I supposed each vendor probably had their own space claimed.

Coming into Charleston was about crossing massive expanses of water. Oh, my, here we go again. I feel like screaming when going over these bridges. The road narrows, it’s cement with cement railings on both sides and the vehicle tires take on a higher toned whine and thump, thump, thump as each section is traversed. Up, up and over and then really going up and over. Aieeeee!!! But look at the VIEWS! Wait, I can’t look at the views, too much traffic and turns… bridges that curve and have off ramps and have other bridges and roadways that cross over and under. Aaargghh, freaky!

Talk about heart pounding and feeling intimidated and scared. Hey, I’m a country gal. I don’t even like driving through Manchester, N.H. and I would never go to Boston, yet here I am in a far away state and taking on situations that scare the daylights out of me. No wonder I have to hole up for a few days and rest.

Coming down from the bridges, my brain was about fried. Stop and go through Charleston the three lanes north and south ran. Those south and north bound lanes split again before the one final bridge before the hotel and I’ve already talked about trying to find that turn-off. These areas are made more confusing when I can’t tell when I need to take a left or right turn to get to my destination.

So, I’m here for one more night. Then I’ll decide if I want to move to a cheaper hotel. I do want to spend a few days here in Charleston. So far, I’ve stayed at Days Inn, Comfort Inns, Comfort Suites Hotels, and now this Holiday Inn. I like the Comfort Suites, but this hotel I can’t compare with its fifteenth floor restaurant, roundness, and spectacular views.

No comments:

Post a Comment