Monday, January 21, 2013

FIRST DAY'S END




I’m holed up for the night at a Days Inn in Port Jervis, NY. I’m exhausted. Leaving the house was quite emotional. Tears blurred my vision as I drove down the road. One bad thing about traveling alone is that I only have my own thoughts and no one to talk to or to distract me.

I did get out of the house at 9 a.m. It was 19 degrees, the air was brisk and clear, the skies blue with a few gray puffy clouds. First stop was in Hillsborough for gas. I have not driven out towards Keene very often and the times I have were summer, so there was plenty to look at. The snow on the rocks in the brooks made me want to stop for photos, but I kept going.

I stopped again just before crossing the bridge into Brattleboro, VT. It was 10:30 and 24 degrees. I took a couple photos out the windshield. That’s when I figured I should put my seat belt on. Oh, no. I couldn’t get it across me. Have I gained that much weight? There are plenty of people bigger than I out there, so what gives?

I held the belt across me and drove over the bridge. There’s a rotary not far and I was trying to hold that stupid belt and look for which way to go and wondering if I should stop at a Friendly’s that I could see off to the left. Well, I pulled right onto the rotary without looking. The on-coming car missed me by a hair! There were no blaring horns. The car was just suddenly at my side; scared the daylights right out of me. I could have touched it if I reached out the window. I can’t believe she didn’t slam into me. And it would have been my fault! That really shook me up.

I continued around the rotary and pulled into Friendly’s. I thought about a late breakfast, but I was rattled and worried about what to do about the seat belt. I got out the owner’s manual. It talked about getting a seat belt extension. Oh, great. I felt really stupid. I actually have one from when I used to travel by plane. I fought with the belt and fought with it. Finally, I ended up taking off my coat and managed to get the seatbelt hooked once I raised the position up. The trouble with that is the belt then goes across my throat. If I ever get in an accident, I’ll end up getting strangled or having my throat slit.

Back on the road and in going around the rotary again I found I had to take Rte. 91S to continue Rte. 9W and once on the smaller road, the drive was enjoyable. I love the windy country roads. I saw so many dilapidated buildings and with the snow, it was all picturesque. Oh, I wanted to stop and take pictures, but I kept going and the road went up and up and up. I kick myself for not stopping. I did stop for a couple of scenic photos on Hogback Mountain and then the road went down and down. I skirted Bennington getting on Rte. 7 in Hoosick, NY.

There was a lot less snow in NY. VT had more than NH, but the NY landscape was only speckled. Trees gave way to more open landscape and beautiful farm lands. Huge rolling hills and crooked fences broke up the emptiness. Oh, why didn’t I stop? There were some big farms, but traffic was bumper to bumper and attention was needed on the driving. Again, I saw places which would make great photos.

I stopped for lunch in Brunswick, NY and was seated next to a family with loud talking kids. Hello? I’m single and there was plenty of space. It’s rude to put single people next to kids. I was very uncomfortable. I only ate half my sandwich. Back out in the truck, I didn’t think I would ever get that seatbelt done up. I strained and strained. I was so frustrated. What am I doing wrong? I ended up taking my sweater off.

Heading into Troy, I knew I had to find Rte. 87, the New York Throughway south. I hadn’t looked at the map close enough before this leg of the trip. It was nerve wracking in heavy traffic and not knowing which lane to be in. There was a division with 7W bearing to the left and Rte. 787 to the right. The sign said Albany. Do I take Rte. 7 into downtown Troy and hope it takes me to 87? I didn’t dare glance at the map while watching the stop and go traffic. I took the right hoping that 787 was a by-pass of the downtown area and it was. I eventually came to Rte. 87S. This is a toll road. In NH, the toll booths have EZ Pass or Cash. NY had EZ Pass Only and a booth with a green light. I guessed at the green light and was given a card and told to pay at the end.

I don’t know when the sky clouded over, but I suddenly noticed it was darker and overcast. More cars had headlights on than not. The throughway seemed to go on forever. The speed limit was 65, but few vehicles went that… slow. My average was about 75 which is faster than I normally drive. I didn’t have a chance to look around too much, but the farmlands I saw and the huge silos along the rolling hills were amazing. There were a lot of hawks. Most were perched in trees and one was on the ground in the median strip between the north and south bound lanes. My feet and legs began to ache. I began to doubt I’d make PA.

Finally, the sign for Rte. 84 and what a turn-around set of ramps from one highway to the next. Again I guessed at a green light.  I felt like I went around in a circle and was afraid I got back on the throughway heading north. Was I glad to see a sign saying 84W. I began counting the exits down; 5E, 4, 3, 2 and debated about going into PA, but at Exit 1 was a sign for Days Inn. That’s it, I’m done for the day.

I did my goal. I wanted to get through VT and NY. I did. But I’m a little disappointed. Why do I think I should only take pictures when I get south of WV? Why couldn’t I stop other places? No, it would not be smart to stop along the big highways, but there are places where I could have taken the time. This isn’t anything new. It’s a habit. Many opportunities are presented and I just don’t take the time.

Well, part of the idea for this trip is to stop and take the time. I will tomorrow. PA will not just be a drive through!

1 comment:

  1. I liked the way you described your dilemma about the seat belt, and the close call in the rotary. Glad you are ok!!

    ReplyDelete