Monday, January 28, 2013

Day 8, Monday, Jan. 28, Part 2





I arranged to stay at this hotel another day and now I’m having doubts. Well, one more night won’t hurt and I don’t feel like dragging luggage around today. I ran out of toilet paper and had to call for some this morning.

The bill for the last two nights was slid under my door early this morning. Not only are they charging $89 per night, there’s also a room tax of $12.02 per night, two destination fees at $1 each and two destination fee taxes at $.07 each. (Are the destination fees for the “free” shuttle service?)

I headed up to breakfast to catch the sunrise. This is one way to make me eat in the morning! Unfortunately, the skies were overcast and the sun didn’t actually show until it was high and bright. I still took some photos of that fabulous view.

I have a dilemma this morning. Do I want to go to Fort Sumter which is a boat ride out to the island or do I want to go to Magnolia Plantation? Fort Sumter would be a shuttle to the boat and I wouldn’t have to drive. I don’t feel like driving again today, so maybe today would be a good day to visit the fort. Tomorrow is supposed to reach 70 degrees and might be a better day for the plantation and a move from this hotel.

I came back from breakfast and two rolls of toilet paper were sitting on my suitcase. Guess I’ll have to put them on the spindles myself. Not a big deal really.

Bathrooms

Let’s talk a little about hotels and fixtures. In two of the rooms where I stayed, the toilet paper dispenser was on the back wall next to the tank. I found that difficult to reach. I’m short with short arms and there are issues with my back in which I have to be careful when twisting. In two other rooms, the dispenser was to the right, but even with the tank so it was still a reach around and in yet another room, the dispenser was right by the knee. Being a little on the wide side, getting paper off the roll is a little tight.

I often wish I was a comedienne because this subject could be quite funny. In other bathrooms, the dispenser is closer to the floor and you have to bend over to reach the paper (and when I have to bend over, it’s low.) Then care needs to be taken to keep the paper off the floor as it is being pulled from the roll. In the bathrooms in stores, space is often so cramped that one has to squeeze between the toilet and wall to get the door closed. That’s an “ewww.”

I also have an issue with faucets. Why are faucets made so you have to practically rub your hands against the back of the sink to wash them?  There’s this good sized bowl, but to wash the hands, you have to reach. I don’t like having to touch the bowl, especially in public places. I like that more modern faucets have that higher arc, but still, it’s the reach to the back of the bowl.

I’m curious about these two issues. Who came up with these designs and does anyone else find this curious?




No comments:

Post a Comment