Sunday, January 27, 2013

Day 7, Sunday, January 27, 2013, a.m. Part 1





Good Morning, Everyone. Because I did not write last night, I’m going to do today’s in three installments. First, I want to talk about this hotel where I’m staying for a couple of days. It’ll feel good to not drag luggage around or have to drive today. Second, I will write about yesterday’s doings and third, I’ll talk about my plans for today.

I am at the Holiday Inn Riverview in Charleston, S.C. The lady at the Welcome Center just past the state border helped me with the choice and to make the reservation. The reason I chose this place was that it has free shuttle service to the historic district, plus it had a third floor pool. That would be cool. (I didn’t realize it was third floor outside and not open this time of year.)  The Holiday Inn is a tall, round structure in the center area between the north and south bound lanes of Rte. 17. I was assured I would not hear highway traffic from my room. (I hear it all.) The one thing I forgot to ask the woman was whether it would be a left or right hand turn off the highway as traveling south, the hotel would be on the left.

I drove through Charleston in the middle lane, in heavy traffic, unsure of the lane. (Remember, I’m a country gal and these big city highways and multiple lanes with exits and on ramps, plus heavy traffic is very intimidating. Rtes. 93 and 95 are NOTHING like these places!) It was a bit nerve wracking to be keeping an eye on the vehicles around me and watch for traffic lights while searching for a Holiday Inn sign. I found the inn with no problem. It’s unmistakable as it rises high above everything else in the area. But I never saw a turn off sign and by the time I saw a little lane on the left, of which I couldn’t tell if that was another construction area (there was construction off and on along Rte. 17,) I was past the hotel. I went to take the next left, but that was a No Left Turn lane which meant I had to go down to the next set of lights.

These roads are all two or three lanes in both directions so you have to watch for traffic while crossing three lanes. Of course, that road I was turning onto did not have a left turn signal and at 4 p.m. on a Saturday, the traffic was fierce. Turning onto to that road, which was also three lanes in both directions, I had to find another left and that road ended up being a dead end. I easily turned around and the road I returned on merged with Rte. 17N traffic coming from the left and the hotel was on the left, so I had to maneuver across two lanes, actually coming to a stop in a middle lane, to get to the hotel entrance (lucky it had two.) By then, I was a little shaken and in need of serious rest.

I checked in being given the choice between floors 3, 5 and 11. I chose the middle not sure I’d want to be high. I wish now I had chosen 11.  I also went for the more expensive water view and was told the normal price is $120/night and I’m getting it for $89. It will probably be $100 when they add in all the taxes. Then, to add to my frustration of still reeling from trying to find the entrance to this place, I dumped one of my suitcases in the parking lot (the one with all my bras, panties and socks.) No one offered to help.

I finally got my stuff to Room 512. This is an older building and the wear and tear shows, but it’s clean, (except for the window and it’s hard to take pictures through dirty glass.) I am over the pool on the third floor which is empty this time a year, so not very nice to look at. However, beyond the pool, the view is amazing. I did my usual of not eating all day. Well, I had tried to be good and had a banana for breakfast, but that was all, so by 4:30 p.m., I was starving and feeling it.

There’s a restaurant on the top floor and I headed there even though it was still 15 minutes before dinner. The lounge was open so I knew I could at least have a look see. This being a round structure, the views from the 15th floor are amazing. What wonderful windows to sit beside and look out over the city and waterways. I took a bunch of photos.

It was still early to eat and I figured I deserved a drink. I haven’t had hard liquor in… I have no idea. Perhaps something with rum; a rum punch maybe. The bartender said he thought he could make one. Thought? Never mind. I ordered something from the bar menu, a Blue Carolinian made with Myers Dark Rum, Malibu Coconut Rum, Blue Curacao and orange and pineapple juices. Yikes! I wasn’t impressed. Think it was the Blue Curacao.

I ordered prime rib for dinner, half of which was a big chunk of fat. The flavors were good. It came with a Caesar’s salad and I had garlic mashed potatoes for the side. Those potatoes were great! I could have eaten a bowl just of that. I took my time and enjoyed the view and was especially wowed when the full moon came up over the city. Sure hope the photos come out.

Later, I went in search of a vending machine for a soda. I’d been told there was one on almost every floor, but the ones on the 14th floor were cheaper. That’s were all the meeting rooms are. Now, besides the views of the building itself and the ones from the restaurant, I hadn’t realized the impact of being in a round building until I started walking the halls to find the soda machine. I could get dizzy and I had the crazy thought of wondering what it would be like to try to run around the halls. I also realized that it was the circular shape that made the doorways to the rooms narrow and the rooms themselves pie shaped. Pretty neat.

I can’t wait to explore more.

No comments:

Post a Comment