Monday, February 4, 2013

Day 15, Monday, February 4, 2013, p.m.



 
I spent the morning importing, editing, and posting some of the photos to Facebook. I took a break to run down to the breakfast room about 8:30 to have half a biscuit and gravy. I told the front desk that I’d be staying another day or two and asked about train tours. I was pleased that there was shuttle service from the hotel to the location and would not have to drive.

Back in my room, I struggled to get photos posted. Some would upload quickly while others I would have to cancel and try again and again. Finally, I got enough posted to give everyone a glimpse of the places I visited. It was time to get out. I called the front desk for them to call the shuttle.

The next decision concerned a bag. What did I want to bring in case I found something to buy? Because I’m walking with a stick and carrying the camera, I have to be leery of what else I’m dragging around. I decided against one of the shoulder bags because I cannot keep them up on my shoulder. I figured the back pack would be best, but that was in the truck full of stuff I’m not using. I was at the truck dumping the junk out when the driver showed up. I asked if I needed a sweater and he said that it was going to warm up. I should have taken the sweater.

It wasn’t easy getting into the van with my short legs, bad knees and the height of the step. The running board was aluminum and I worried about my weight. Plus it was narrow. I had to turn my foot sideways which made it a little difficult getting my other foot by that one. There was a couple in the seat behind the driver which meant I had to squeeze into the back. I managed and settled in for the ride.

The Red Train Tours, train shaped vehicles which pull two open air cars each holding five bench seats,  has 22 stops throughout the city and you can get off at any stop or stay on for the whole tour. Then it begins all over again with the drivers switching off. A train comes along every twenty minutes. Just be at one of the stops. I bought a three day pass because I knew I wouldn’t be able to do it all in this one day. Many of the stops are shopping areas, restaurants, or churches. Other places are points of interest and historical sites. Some of these charge a fee to get in. Tickets can be bought with the train ticket for a discount… usually $1 off admission.

For today, I thought I would do the city tour, look through some of the shops, and visit the pirates’ museum. I rode the train through one complete loop to get the feel of the city. This gave me the history and a better idea of which places to visit. I thought Charleston, S.C. had history. St. Augustine was even more amazing! It seems that what I remember of American History pretty much started with the Pilgrims and Plymouth Rock although I do recall reading about Jamestown and Roanoke.

Ponce de Leon actually landed in what is now St. Augustine in 1513. He used to be on Columbus’ crew and later petitioned for his own fleet. From then, the Spanish took over rule from the natives. The city of St. Augustine was actually established in 1565 making it the oldest continually occupied city in the country. The French had a go at trying to take the city, but were defeated and there were years of issues with the British. Someone said, “How would our history have been written if told from the Spanish point of view or the Native American point of view?” Now, that’s food for thought. History as we know it, was told more from an English point of view and up in New England, that was our influence. Down here in Florida, it’s totally different.

Part way through the second time around, I got off in a shopping district. I’d seen a sign for Birkenstocks and could use a new pair. Didn’t buy, nothing appealed to me. I bought some post cards in a little shop nearby. I wanted some earrings and stepped into a place called the Silver Feather. This was my kind of place with dream catchers, stones, jewelry, and books. My eyes lighted on some feathers; a turquoise strand and another of purple. I found some dragonfly earrings in turquoise and purple. How could I resist?

As I rounded the corner of a counter, my mouth dropped open. Against the back wall were about seven racks of Native American flutes. Oh, my. Different styles, makers, wood, sizes, and keys. I had to try some of them. I picked out four small ones and tried each one. Hmmm, I don’t know. Then my eyes lit on one that had a different mouth piece. It was still a smaller one, made of bamboo (which I don’t have) and in the key of E. I tried it. Ohhhh, I had to have this. I walked out of that store with a bigger bag and lighter pocket.

I strolled around the shops, but didn’t feel like buying anything else. I found the Pirate & Treasure Museum. I keep running into all these transplants from Connecticut and Michigan. I guess I’m not the only one wanting to get out of the cold. Many people come to stay. The woman behind the counter and I chatted New England until others came in.

I wandered around the museum set up to resemble a pirate ship. There were hundreds of artifacts that have been discovered throughout the years and tales of the 10 most famous pirates. (I never knew Sir Francis Drake was considered one… guess he was to the Spanish.) I was intrigued by the “tools” used; the different sextants, telescopes, and such. I was even more impressed with the tools for cartography. I always wondered how they made maps. This museum also has one of the only true remaining pirate chests and an original Jolly Roger flag.

After a burger and a few fries at an outdoor café, I made my way back to the trolley stop in that area. There were many huge buildings with gorgeous architecture built by Henry Flagler. Flagler was already quite wealthy when he teamed up with John D. Rockefeller and together they founded the Standard Oil Company (now Exxon.) Flagler’s plan for St. Augustine was to turn it into southern version of Newport, R.I. catering to the rich for their winter get-aways.

Another point of interest about St. Augustine is that this is where the Emancipation Proclamation was read for the first time in Florida. It’s also where Dr. Martin Luther King and Dr. Robert Hayling led the last campaigns that brought about the passage of the Civil Rights Act. It’s said that King had to stay in a different house every night he was in the city for safety reasons.

The day hadn’t gotten warmer and I was freezing on the way back. I was glad to get in the van for the ride to the hotel. Billy, the driver, talked about other places I need to visit. The Alligator Farm has an amazing bird sanctuary and none are in cages. I should be able to get some fabulous photographs. I also plan to visit the Fountain of Youth and yes, people are allowed to drink from it. There’s also the Castillo de San Marcos which has seen wars, invasions, pirates attacks and has never been taken in battle. I will go to the St. Augustine Lighthouse because I heard the views are spectacular. I will not, however, climb the 219 steps to the top. If I did, I’d probably have to be hauled away on a stretcher.

So, the next two days should be very interesting.






No comments:

Post a Comment