Thursday, February 21, 2013

Day 32, Feb. 21, p.m.



Day 32, Feb. 21, p.m.

Left Fredericksburg at 9:15 a.m. It was 35 degrees under bright sunny skies. The odometer read 16360.3 and there was ¾ of a tank of gas. I headed north on Rte. 17 and once I got out of the city, I really enjoyed the drive. The countryside was beautiful, though bare trees and dried yellow fields this time of year. The farmlands were huge and there were miles of open county and rolling hills. For a long time, the traffic was sparse and I loved it. I’d hold the camera up with one hand and take pictures once in a while.

I loved the farms. They were unique and beautiful. Silos would rise tall and some farms had two or three. There were red barns, white barns, and gray dilapidated barns. Some of the homes were simple single story ranch houses and others looked almost like a plantation house. I was impressed with fences, too, that ran for miles and miles; black, wide board fences, shorter white fences, barbed wire fences and natural corral fences. There were massive trees that dotted the hills and valleys, but no forests like we have in N.H.

Although I would have loved to have explored the Virginia coast and seen Williamsburg, inland has its beauty, too. I want to come back during spring or fall sometime to see this state when it’s in color. That also would be a better time to visit the historic sites. How much more interesting history is when you can actually visit the sites and get a physical feel for the countryside. However, it’s not much fun when it’s only 30 degrees and the frigid wind is blowing through your clothes. I passed by many wildlife refuges that on a warmer day, I probably would have stopped.

Rte. 66W was reached at 10 a.m. and the speed limit was 70 mph as I headed towards the Shenandoah River Valley and the mountains. I reached Rte. 81N half an hour later and the speed limits dropped to 65. Ran into some heavy traffic in the Winchester area, but after awhile it spread out. I crossed into West Virginia at 11, Maryland at 11:25 and Pennsylvania ten minutes after that. It was 32 degrees and the odometer read 16498.7. I took a quick break at a rest stop. The wind was brutal.

At noon, I stopped for lunch at a Perkins Family Restaurant in Chambersburg. They have specials for those of us over 55. I got gas at a Sheetz across the street for $3.59/gl. That was the cheapest as I’d seen some stations over $3.80. I also took a few photos of a place that used to be an old railroad station. I was back on the highway at 1 p.m.

Pennsylvania has beautiful countryside, too. Along Rte. 81, the elevations are higher and steeper. The farmlands are just as impressive. I would have loved to get some horse photos. I also would like to know more about the mining communities and see first-hand more of that territory. Cities still scare me and traffic got more intense. The speed limits fluctuated between 55 and 65 and there were signs in some areas saying fines were doubled. I’d slow down nearer the limit and vehicles would be passing me on both sides.

Not all the sights were of beautiful farms or modern cities. There were the signs of industry. Are these remnants of old coal mines? Some were interesting, some ugly like sections of land ripped apart and abandoned with debris and black… I don’t know. It left me with questions and wanting to know more.

I began to see snow in the outlying areas just south of Harrisburg. The highway climbed up and up. It seemed like it cut right into the sides of mountains and there would be vast expanses of views… when I could grab a glimpse. Then there came a section where it seemed the highway was along a narrow ridge with steep drop offs to either side. With the divided highway, the drop off would be on one side then the other. Sometimes the north bound land would be higher than the south and vice versa. The views would have been amazing… kind of like the Skyline Drive only at 60 mph in heavy traffic. It was a little nerve wracking. The road curved and rose and dipped; long and winding rising up and across then back down a long curvy slow grade. I did chance a few driving photos, but it was kind of scary. This road would be horrendous during a storm.

I was getting tired and my concentration was slipping. I wriggled in my seat, took turns shaking my hands and arms, and tapped on my thighs. My butt hurt from sitting so long. When I started weaving a little bit in the lane, I figured it was time to find a hotel. I really hadn’t thought I’d make Scranton today, so I am pleased.

This Comfort Suites Inn is a little pricey. Ohhh, it’s beside a ski resort, that must by why. They did give me a senior discount on top of the AAA. I was checked in by 4 p.m. She gave me a room with the view of the ski area. It’s all lit up at night. Bringing the luggage in was not easy. It was only 28 degrees and I don’t even want to know what it was with the wind chill. The luggage trolley didn’t wheel right and I struggled. I finally got settled in and debated about a swim, but figured it was more important to check in, write my blog, and order dinner. Tomorrow I’ll have to work and watch the weather to see if I should stay longer or if I will have time to get closer to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment