Friday, February 8, 2013

Day 18, Thu., Feb. 7, 2013, p.m.




It was a long day on the road. I opted to forego the laundry and staying in St. Augustine one more day as I’d promised Gail I’d come on Thursday. Before I left, though, I wanted one more tour of the city. While I was packing the luggage in the truck, the front desk called the shuttle. I waited. A different driver came along saying the other was hung up in traffic with downed power lines. (Later when he gave me a ride back to the hotel, he told me it was a vehicle accident with fatalities… makes me even more afraid of these highways.) It was a good thing that I spent time talking to Kathy because I turned around before I got in her van and the door to my truck was wide open. I’d forgotten to close the one on that side. How horrible that would have been to return to find my vehicle cleaned out.

Kathy and I had a good chat on the way to the Red Train Station. She had gone to the Picasso exhibit and was telling me about some of the pictures. I’d told her that I’d read a biography on him not too long ago. He was not a nice man. He treated everyone horribly and they worshipped him. (They probably noticed his genius.) I find his work disturbing and wouldn’t waste the $10 to see the show.

The lady at the ticket booth let me ride for free as it was my fourth day. I hopped off at stop 4 because I wanted to go back to that shop where I’d purchased earrings and a flute. I bought Gail a pair of earrings. I thought it would be nice to bring her a gift. She’s always doing things for me. From there, I walked over to the Castillo where I caught the train back and then the shuttle to the hotel.

The sky was cloudy with the possibility of rain. At the Sunoco station at the end of the driveway, I filled up with gas (should have done that when I arrived as the prices went up) and I went through the car wash. The odometer read 14856.1 and it was 70 degrees. A few minutes later, 11:40 a.m., I was on Rte. 95S, it was 75 degrees. Gail had said Jensen Beach was 3 ½ hours. I was in for a long drive… and it was boring.

At 1 p.m., I stopped at a rest stop and gobbled down two pieces of leftover pizza. The odometer read 14946.9 and it was 81 degrees. I didn’t need the turtleneck I’d put on. I should have gotten out to stretch a bit, but I wanted to get to Gail’s.

Speed limits went from 70 mph down to 60 mph in work areas. Miles and miles and miles of Rte. 95 are being worked on. The drive was tedious. I finally reached Exit 126, Midway Road and headed east to Rte. 1. Gail had told me I’d be making a left so once on Rte. 1; I stayed in the left lane all the way through Port St. Lucie. Traffic light after traffic light and I could hardly take my eyes from the road to look for a hotel. Rte. 1 is a three lane divided north and south highway. Road signs warning what road is coming up at the next set of lights are in the meridian. Finally, I saw the sign for Goldenrod Road where I made the left, then another onto Cinnamon Circle. I had arrived.

Gail had said to park next to her PT, but I couldn’t see it. I did find her building. It was 3:30 p.m., 80 degrees and the odometer read 15062.9. Gail’s dad said she’d gone to do a little shopping. When she arrived, I changed out of my turtleneck while she put her things away. We headed out to find me a place to stay. The motels along Jensen Beach were booked, so I ended up at the Hampton Inn on Rte. 1 in Stuart. It was pricier than the places I’d been staying in, but it was after five p.m. and I didn’t feel like looking any further. Gail helped me get my luggage to the room on the 4th floor then we headed out to get dinner.

We went to Tony Roma’s in Jensen Beach. Thursday night is a happening night for the area. The restaurant was packed and it was so noisy. Everything echoed and I felt very small and closed in. It was uncomfortable. The meal was delicious, though. We both had Fire Grilled chicken breasts topped with an apple-cranberry mixture, fire grilled mixed vegetables, and I had rice.

I felt bad. Gail wanted to hang out as there are vendors and street performers and happy happenings along the boulevard, but I’d been on the road all day and was tired. I hadn’t checked in and I knew people would be wondering as I always check in between 4 and 5 o’clock. Plus, this is the end of the week and I have work to do. I took her back to her place and found my way back to the Hampton Inn after dark.

I had a great conversation with the lady at the desk while I was buying a couple bottles of water. She’s originally from the northeast. By the time I settled in my room, it was after 7 p.m. I only did a quick check in on fb to let everyone know I was okay.

Karen had messaged that she finally saw Freyja and kitty actually allowed a pat. I tear up every time I think of my kitty missing me. I miss her so much, my furry little ball of joy. Then I think of all the cold, snowy winter weather back home and I’m glad I’m in the south. I cannot thank Karen enough for taking care of things while I’m away.



No comments:

Post a Comment