Saturday, February 16, 2013

Day 26, Friday, February 15, Savannah, Pt. 2




A message popped up on the computer from Gayle asking what hotel I’d stayed in the night before because she thought she was near the Applebees that I’d written about. I got excited. We are both train enthusiasts and as I’d visited that wonderful museum and planned to return (my ticket was good for six days) it would be awesome if we could meet up. I replied. Then it dawned on me that she said she was in Atlanta. I’m in Savannah. I messaged back.

The phone rang. It was the front desk saying there was a Gayle on the line for me and did I want her put through. I said yes. I wasn’t sure which Gail or Gayle it would be. It was Gayle and she said she was in Savannah, not Atlanta and we started to talk about getting together. We got disconnected and through fb messaging, I got her cell phone number and called her back. We arranged to meet at the Visitor Information Center (VIC) at 10 a.m.

How awesome to be on separate trips (she and her sister, Judy, had gone to New Orleans) and manage to hit the same city at the same time heading towards home. I hurriedly finished packing and checked out of the hotel. The sky was sunny and clear with the temperature at 52 degrees. It felt warmer than the day before, but that was probably due to the sun and no overcast. The odometer read 15720.0.

 I arrived at the VIC fifteen minutes early. Not a big deal as I enjoy looking around. They had further to come than I. I parked where they would be able to see my vehicle and license plate when they pulled in. I put on my sweater. Poor thing is getting so raggedy looking with all the pulled threads. I’d forgotten to ask Gayle which car they were using, but when I saw one with New Jersey plates, I knew it had to be them. They never saw my vehicle and were actually driving by me when Gayle noticed me on the sidewalk.

Oh, I was so happy to see someone I knew! I hobbled over to their car to give a warm greeting. “Wow, look at all those beads!” The car had strands and strands hanging on the rear view mirror and seats. Well, they’d just come from New Orleans and it is Mardi Gras season. We had hugs and chatted about our trips as we headed for the train museum.

Gayle and Judy were as impressed with the trains as I. We looked around and I showed them areas I’d visited the day before. We were in time for a little tour which included a train being driven from its “home” onto the turntable and onto a track where passengers could climb up a set of steps to get into an open car. The engine pushed the car back onto the turntable where it moved around to another set of tracks and we were pushed off and down the tracks. A young man talked about the train yard and a little history or the trains in Savannah. Unfortunately, it was hard to hear him with two little kids yapping nearby.

The engine pulled us back onto the turntable, the table turned, and we were pushed out onto another set of tracks a short distance where more information was explained. At one time, this train yard was huge. I thought it was huge now, what remnants there are left, but I guess there was a lot more back in the day. This was a major confluence for repairs and there was much coming and going of trains.

After getting off the train, Judy went to check on her dog. I was taking my time with photos. One of the guys that Gayle had been speaking with earlier told us that one of the engines was from the Claremont-Concord Line and he pointed it out. Of course, we had to see that! All the engines and cars are behind No Admittance signs and Gayle and I were trying to get good shots of the engine and capture the logo without a lot of I-beams and debris in the way when another man came up and offered to let us in the restricted area. How awesome was that! Gayle said it’s because she dares to talk to people.

Brian Spokes (sp) said that they hadn’t had this engine long and repairs were needed. We were excited to find something here from back home. She said that we have pictures we can use for our respective jobs (besides for our train collection photos) as she works for a radio station and I for a newspaper. Du’uh, I wouldn’t even have thought of that if she hadn’t mentioned it.

Judy hadn’t come back and even though she told Gayle to take her time, we figured we should go. It was an awesome place to visit, but even I was ready to move on although I’d not seen everything. I had to decide whether I wanted to go to the waterfront or head north. We discussed lunch, but I didn’t want to drive anywhere and made my decision to take the trolley to the river. With hugs all around, we parted ways. It was so wonderful to spend time with them. It made me very happy. There aren’t too many with whom I can share my enthusiasm with trains.

With reluctance, I decided to do the same trolley tour as it was only half price on a second day. I ended up sitting second to the back as the car was crowded. The lady across from me asked how I’d liked it yesterday and I gave her my honest opinion. She hoped we had a better driver today. Me, too, and we did. Cindy was phenomenal and although she talked about the squares and statues, she flavored it with stories. The back curtain was up so I was able to take many pictures of structures and architecture to show more of what Savannah is like. At one stop, a couple got on and sat in front of me. Her perfume was so overpowering, I moved to the back seat behind the couple I’d been talking.

The stop I wanted was an hour into the tour. I hopped off onto uneven gray bricks and headed down the sidewalk. A trolley that runs on tracks runs from one end of River Street to the other then the driver walks to the other end of the car and drives it back. I checked out the Peanut Store and sampled some of wares. I’m not so impressed with “flavored” nuts, so I continued on crossing the street to visit the market. I almost bought a pair of earrings, but they didn’t quite do it for me. The other stuff was mostly tourist type items, but at least I looked. I re-crossed the street and had a burger and fries at One Eyed Lizzie’s. It was okay. They put mustard on the burger and that’s all I could taste.

I wandered further, but nothing was appealing, so I turned around and headed back. I did see some interesting passageways. The main street is 42 feet above River St. and it’s a steep drop. I would not want to climb the many steps nor walk up the steep inclined sidewalk. (To the original settlers, where the main street is now was a bluff overlooking the river.) I re-crossed the street to get photos along the river of the tour boats, tug boats, and a huge freighter under the bridge.

Oh, that bridge, which I would be traveling across into S.C. later and which I found out was the Eugene  E. Talmidge Bridge. I took many photos as I walked along. A couple sat down at a bench I was approaching and they had pinkish red drinks. I had to ask. They were daiquiris and come from a place across the street. The guy told me that there are many flavors to add and they’ll let you sample anything. Ooh, I had to try one.

Wet Willie’s was a happening place. I was waited on right away. The drinks are made with 190 proof grain alcohol and the barkeep showed me a menu. I tried the strawberry. Good, but not quite what I wanted. Oooh, this stuff is cold and my throat got that hurt cold feeling. How about a pina colada? He said I could mix it with the strawberry and gave me a sample. Oh, yes, this was good. I ordered a small and took it out on the street as a lot of people were wandering around with drinks. It wasn’t easy taking photographs with my walking stick in one hand and the drink in the other. I’d have to find a place to lean the stick and set the cup down. I managed just fine.

I meandered back to the trolley stop and the next one by had Jack for the driver. Oh, great (sarcasm.) He remembered me and I headed to the back seat. His speaker is loud and the voice goes right through you. I heard more about squares, statues, and monuments. At least there were only four more stops before the end.

Back in my truck, I gave the gate lady my get out of jail free card (free parking for trolley riders) and asked how to get to Rte. 17N. I was ready to get out of Georgia. There were a couple places I would have liked to visit like that cemetery Janet had recommended, but I wanted to get north and it was getting late.
I got to go over that fabulous bridge and tried to take pictures by holding the camera and hoping to get decent shots. My goal was to find the first good hotel to stay at as it was 4 p.m.

A little bit later, I came to Hardees, S.C. which had a whole row of hotels. I was looking for a Comfort Inn or Country Inn and when I passed through the busy section and seeing none, I figured I’d better turn around. The first place back was a Travel Lodge. I know their prices are cheaper. I figured to check it out.
The manager offered to let me see the room first. I said no, but he insisted. I filled out the card and took the key. He was a nice guy, let me sample his coffee which is Starbucks and he admitted to watering down. (Which is the only way I’d drink that brand.)

I’m so glad he insisted I check out the room. The place was downright gross! Things looked in disrepair and the cover to the toilet tank didn’t even go with that toilet and was too small. I went back and apologized saying the room wasn’t acceptable. I left.

The next hotel was a Quality Inn. The ones I’d seen and see in the coupon books are usually more money than I spend for the night. This one was an exception. You know what they say, “You get what you pay for.” This place was just a step up from the Travel Lodge, but at that time of night, I didn’t want to search further. My room is on the back side of the pool and away from the office. Not bad, but that meant the luggage trolley was way at the front and I wasn’t about to walk all that way to get it and then bring it back. I made three trips back and forth to the truck.

I had turned on the a/c and it got cold. I tried turning the temperature, but it still blew cold air. I finally shut it off figuring I’d have to turn it on during the night. I didn’t and I’m still cold.

I couldn’t connect to the internet. I called the front desk and I finally got connection. Had a good chat with Karen who said she didn’t see kitty again, but Freyja is still eating. I tried calling Adam and then Don, but both went to voice mail.

I can’t wait to get out of this dump!



No comments:

Post a Comment